Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

System too lean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM

thanks! i'll report back after checking this out.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 AM

So, the mechanic said that he checked the brake booster and that wasn't a problem. He said my problem was a clogged catalytic converter. I get the car back and two days later I am stranded on the side of the autobahn. The car made a squealing sound, but not that of a slipping belt. It was more like that of squeezing air out of a plastic bag or balloon. The car then started jumping the worst it has, and even some minor clunking sound with very low rpm. Does this still sound like brake booster, and I should just replace it even though the mechanic said it was ok?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Banned

Doesn't sound like brake booster, mine didn't make any noise.
Your noise does sound like colgged cat, however those are weird codes for it unless the clogged cat does not have sensors around it. Example: my car has 2 pre-cats attached to engine exhaust manifold and both have sensors before and after the cat which would trigger different cel codes. However I also have another cat further down the line at about mid car which has no sensors----if this gets clogged it would not give a proper catalytic cel. I don't know the cat configuration on your car. Hopefully it is this rear cat (cheap to fix) that is clogged and not 1 of the pre-cats attached to exhaust manifold (very expensive to fix).
Hopefully clunking sound was cat insides breaking up. If one of the pre-cats breaks up it is possible those bits could get back in to the engine via egr system-----then engine damage!
But why did it clog: READ: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Reasons-for-...2803746/g.html . My bets on oil consumption, get a compression done and check engine to make sure connecting rods are still OK (clunking not a sound from engine you want to hear) as they may be damaged from cat bits via egr (if it was a pre-cat) or extreme pressure from clogged cat.
Hopefully you get it figured out.
Also, after a while, with my brake booster leak, i had hardly any brakes a couple times as i really had to push hard on pedal and pump it up a couple times before actually stopping.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-07-2015 at 07:16 AM.