Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   Stuck Ignition Key (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/stuck-ignition-key-928/)

S plan purchase 07-24-2006 03:34 PM

RE: Stuck Ignition Key

Well, once again, my dealer has scored points with me. I called about getting my shift lock solenoid replaced under my extended warranty. They just informed me that the salesman sold me an "aftermarket" warranty, not Mazda, so the shifter and related items are not covered under this warranty. Over the 4 yrs I have owned this car, there have been few issues with it, but for each small thing, the dealer has managed to say it is not covered under warranty.
I have been A plan eligible for my entire adult life and have never used it until my wife liked the Mazda. The car itself isn’t too bad, but the dealer has put such a bad impression in my mind, I doubt I will ever purchase another one.

babyhuey 08-04-2006 07:51 PM

Sounds like a change in dealership is more in order than the MPV that you seem to have had few problems with over the years!!!!!!

pdsd 08-24-2006 01:24 PM

There is an MTOL for 2000-2004 MPV's with this problem to have the change control mechanism replaced. There is an update Park micro switch integrated, not a recall rather a bulletin.

babyhuey 08-30-2006 07:58 PM

Not only an MTOL but now there is even a TSB #05-006/06 regarding the switch. There is also an undated and supposedly modified change lever assembly for the 2002-2006 models. The new part number is LD47-46-10XB. 2000-2001 still using the same replacement change lever assembly with part #LC62-46-10XE. Make sure that if you get a change lever for the 2002-2006 that you get the latest part available.

harryflash 11-17-2006 08:04 PM

babyhuey- just had this problem with my 2000 mpv. thanks for your help on this topic, it saved me a lot of grief. your pictures were especially helpful. here's my question - my dealer wants $270 for the change selector. this seems a little steep, so my question is why not just unplug the connector permanently? i don't use the o/d button, and the two park switches, well, it seems i can live without them. am i missing something?

hemachayart 11-23-2006 09:19 PM

I have same problem after I reflash eeprom mileage. I have to disable solinoid. I think came from microprocessor in instrument cluster.

tvax1 12-10-2006 10:19 PM

New member and I found this topic just after my 1995 MilleniaS would not let go of the key from the ignition. It will release after I disconnect the battery post cable. The dash board shift display registers the proper position for being in park but the key acts like it doesn't get the message. Is one of the previous post responses the answer to my problem? I haven't taken it to be diagnosed and have simply been disconnecting the battery cable when I arrive at my destinations. What steps do I need to do to diagnose the source of the problem?
Thanks for any help,
Tom

babyhuey 01-04-2007 09:45 PM

Similar problem tvax1 but just in a different spot. No need to disconnect the battery however. Removing the 15 Amp 'ROOM' fuse in the underdash fuse box will also disable the key interlock solenoid.
The most proabable problem is a faulty "Not In Park" microswitch. Best I can tell, it is build into the shift lock actuator assembly and is not a serviceable switch. A new shift lock actuator will run you aroud $150 MSRP.

teleios 12-06-2007 07:41 PM

I took out the room fuse in my Millenia 2000 and just like you said I able to get the key out. It still kills my clock radio and alarm system but I can gladly take the key out.

freak_fader 04-26-2008 12:09 PM

Hey BabyHuey, quick question. How will disconnecting the key interlockaffect the rest of the electronics system? I.E. is it safe to just leave this interlock disconnected, or could that in turn cause further problems? Thanks