Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   Stuck Ignition Key (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/stuck-ignition-key-928/)

S plan purchase 07-24-2006 03:34 PM

RE: Stuck Ignition Key

Well, once again, my dealer has scored points with me. I called about getting my shift lock solenoid replaced under my extended warranty. They just informed me that the salesman sold me an "aftermarket" warranty, not Mazda, so the shifter and related items are not covered under this warranty. Over the 4 yrs I have owned this car, there have been few issues with it, but for each small thing, the dealer has managed to say it is not covered under warranty.
I have been A plan eligible for my entire adult life and have never used it until my wife liked the Mazda. The car itself isn’t too bad, but the dealer has put such a bad impression in my mind, I doubt I will ever purchase another one.

babyhuey 08-04-2006 07:51 PM

Sounds like a change in dealership is more in order than the MPV that you seem to have had few problems with over the years!!!!!!

pdsd 08-24-2006 01:24 PM

There is an MTOL for 2000-2004 MPV's with this problem to have the change control mechanism replaced. There is an update Park micro switch integrated, not a recall rather a bulletin.

babyhuey 08-30-2006 07:58 PM

Not only an MTOL but now there is even a TSB #05-006/06 regarding the switch. There is also an undated and supposedly modified change lever assembly for the 2002-2006 models. The new part number is LD47-46-10XB. 2000-2001 still using the same replacement change lever assembly with part #LC62-46-10XE. Make sure that if you get a change lever for the 2002-2006 that you get the latest part available.

harryflash 11-17-2006 08:04 PM

babyhuey- just had this problem with my 2000 mpv. thanks for your help on this topic, it saved me a lot of grief. your pictures were especially helpful. here's my question - my dealer wants $270 for the change selector. this seems a little steep, so my question is why not just unplug the connector permanently? i don't use the o/d button, and the two park switches, well, it seems i can live without them. am i missing something?

hemachayart 11-23-2006 09:19 PM

I have same problem after I reflash eeprom mileage. I have to disable solinoid. I think came from microprocessor in instrument cluster.

tvax1 12-10-2006 10:19 PM

New member and I found this topic just after my 1995 MilleniaS would not let go of the key from the ignition. It will release after I disconnect the battery post cable. The dash board shift display registers the proper position for being in park but the key acts like it doesn't get the message. Is one of the previous post responses the answer to my problem? I haven't taken it to be diagnosed and have simply been disconnecting the battery cable when I arrive at my destinations. What steps do I need to do to diagnose the source of the problem?
Thanks for any help,
Tom

babyhuey 01-04-2007 09:45 PM

Similar problem tvax1 but just in a different spot. No need to disconnect the battery however. Removing the 15 Amp 'ROOM' fuse in the underdash fuse box will also disable the key interlock solenoid.
The most proabable problem is a faulty "Not In Park" microswitch. Best I can tell, it is build into the shift lock actuator assembly and is not a serviceable switch. A new shift lock actuator will run you aroud $150 MSRP.

teleios 12-06-2007 07:41 PM

I took out the room fuse in my Millenia 2000 and just like you said I able to get the key out. It still kills my clock radio and alarm system but I can gladly take the key out.

freak_fader 04-26-2008 12:09 PM

Hey BabyHuey, quick question. How will disconnecting the key interlockaffect the rest of the electronics system? I.E. is it safe to just leave this interlock disconnected, or could that in turn cause further problems? Thanks

John890 05-08-2008 02:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the problem with the key. I purchased the same vehicle (same year and everything) a few months ago and have not had this problem. Incidentally, if you're in the market for a new car, you ought to check out the guys at Randy Adams, Inc. in New Braunfels, Texas. I have NEVER had a better car-buying experience.

Thanks for the heads up on the key thing. I'll watch out for that. Let us know if it persists or if you come to a resolution!

crissichef 06-21-2008 05:33 PM

Hello all - I have a 2002 Mazda MPV and came here for help since my ignition key is stuck and will not go into the lock position so I can take the key out. My husband removed the fuse and the key did come out now, so thanks for the info. I have seen different answers to what the problem is and what needs to be replaced. How can I tell which of these things will need to be replaced? What else runs from these fuses that I will be shutting down by taking the fuse out?

Any help would be appreciated........why do these things always happen on the weekend and after the garage closes?

TIA,
Crissi

SMGAMPV 01-15-2009 08:21 PM

Huey,

As you probably can guess, I haven't been on in a while. Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that I replaced the shift column without incident. Everything went off without a hitch. I have also replaced the power window unit in the driver's door. My (and especially the wife's) confidence is growing slowly. We had to have the coil packs replaced (about $500 with the work being doneby a friend of mine).

Hope all is well with you and yours. Once again thanks for the help.

Brad

HitchHiker 04-16-2009 12:27 PM

I was wondering if the pictures could be reposted.

Thanks,
HitchHiker

oldeng 05-09-2009 03:11 PM

There is a safety interlock switch in the gear select linkage system. It prevents key removal if vehicle is not in park.
If that switch is misaligned, has failed, or its connector is dirty or has failed, the "brain thing" is tricked into thinking you're not in park, and it will prevent key removal. Switch things are cheap and easy to diagnose, "brain things" are neither; go for that switch thing.
Its called the transmission range switch (TRS) and is mechanically linked to the shift console via a cable. The link setup is adjustable at the transmission interface.
Normal linkage wear and tear can eventually de-index the linkage to the point where while the shift lever is in park, the transmission range switch position is still in the reverse sector, so the key is locked into the ignition.
So there ain't no $582 "brain thing" to it. It's mechanics, electrics, relays, and solenoids, period.
Go to another Mazda place, tell them the problem, say "Is it possible the transmission range switch adjustment is the problem?" and the chances are you won't get stung.
At worst he'll tell you the TRS, linkage cable, or whatever had to be replaced.

ronash 05-27-2009 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by babyhuey (Post 20312)
What year MPV do you have Grapepot? Assume that is at least a 2002 as you have a TCM under the carpet at drivers footwell. The TCM plays no role at all in the key interlock system. The instrument cluster both gets the signal from that Park position microswitch and controls the solenoid that locks the key in. If you want to repair then you will need to replace the combination switch as I noted earlier in the thread. If you only want to disable then is an easy process but remember that your key will now be removeable in any gear position.
Is a simple matter of locating the connector for the shift lock solenoid and disconnecting. The connector is over on the left side of the steering column just above the ignition switch connector. Pic below is of the connector. Has two wires coming from the harness side. One is Orange and other is Yellow w/ Green stripe. Unplug that connector and key interlock will be disabled.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/A1901C1D0F984735BA47CF93E2330CC1.jpg[/IMG]

We have the same problem with the key/ ignition switch stuck in park. I've found the connector, the brown wire with white stripe (ours is a 2003), but the white connector with the 2 wires does not want to come out. Is there a release switch of some sort, or another trick I should know about? Thanks for any help anyone can give!

jhannema 06-08-2009 01:09 PM

Stuck key- will replacing the TRS really work for me?

Over the weekend, I pulled the intake manifold to change the plugs on my wife's 2002 MPV (w/91k mi), and wound up doing the last part of the job in the rain, (with the - battery terminal disconnected). I finished up, and took it out for a drive, and it ran well (solving the hesitation problem). When i went to take the key out, it wouldn't budge, and I found this thread, and went through the motions re: disabling the solenoid circuit by pulling the ROOM or HAZARD or ignition key fuses, and finally, took apart the steering column and unplugged the connector to disable the TRS.

Of course, now, the power sliding doors don't work. Before I pay the $225 for a TRS switch, is there any way I can be certain that this will fix it, or any way to troubleshoot further? Is it possible that some moisture caused a short, and this will dry out in a week?

Any guidance/advice would be much appreciated.

Rodster 08-07-2009 05:53 PM

Very Informative

Hi all, my first post here.

We just began experiencing SKS ourselves. OK, I made that up - Stuck Key Syndrome. Anyway, great info here. I've done the battery disconnect thing and now I'm going to try and give some of these solutions a go tomorrow. Will report back.

Rodster 08-08-2009 09:20 AM

OK, Job Complete.

Following instructions here, I chose to disable the microswitch. Took about 10 minutes. Hardest part was separating the connector.

First, it's mounted to a metal holding clip. Slides out when you leverage it just enough

Second, the connector clip itself of course has a tab that has to be compressed to release connector. Bit of a push-and-slide-at-the-same-time thing.

Narrow space but a pair of needlenose and long thin screwdriver did the trick.

My wife is happy, no more stuck key. And we're not worried about the key coming out in any position. Worth saving $550+ for mechanic replacement.

Thanks everyone.

Hiker 08-13-2009 03:03 PM

Fixed with 3 drops of super glue

Thanks to the photos and instructions on this thread I was able to find the micro switch. The switch wasn't making contact with the gear shift lever because the switch had moved back a tiny bit out of position. I put my finger behind the switch and pushed it forward toward the gear shift lever and my key came right out. I then used a small dental style mirror so I could see to put a couple of drops of super glue behind the switch to hold it in place. It has been a few months now and everything is still working fine. The fix took less than 5 minutes.

By the way, to get to the switch all I did was pop off a single plastic cover on top of the steering column. It snaps off and on so I didn't even need a screwdriver.

I wanted to post this to thank you all for the photos and instructions that I found here and I'm hoping that what I have discovered will work for a few others.

All the best,
Hiker, Mazda MPV 2001

Rafik 08-24-2009 12:08 PM

2001 MPV - Key Stuck

Hi all,
First iI ould liek to thank all who wrote those very usefull tips. For my 2001 MPV, the indicator shows I am in Park position, but the ley would not turn to lock, stuck on Acc position. It goes out when I remove the Hazard switch.

I am trying to solve it thorugh ur instructions, but I can not find the pictures. Is there a way to see them orrepost them?
Thanks

Rafik 08-24-2009 02:15 PM

I wa not able to reach the sensor (the micro switch) so I just disconnected the solonoid. Now I will be able to remove the key in whatever position
Thanks guys. Still pics on how to reach for the microswitch would be appreciated
Cheers

Babs 08-27-2009 09:30 AM

Pictures

Hi, guys. I have the "key stuck" problem with my 2003 MPV. Thank heavens for you guys - I took the 15A fuse out and could at least get the key out. It is a bit obnoxious to keep sticking the fuse in and taking it out, but a good short-term solution.

I am a mechanical engineer also and would like to fix this without spending $$ - would love to see the photos - are they supposed to be visible on the site or do I have to do something? Perhaps they are no longer up? :confused:

I have the power sliding doors - are you saying that if I disable this switch it could cause them to stop working?

Thanks for the help.:)

jshortall 09-13-2009 01:09 PM

MPV stuck ignition key

I had the same problem on my 2004 MPV on two occasions. I finally figured out that there is a control component under the mat on the passenger side. When I get the carpet cleaned, humidity gets into the component and the key won't come out. The problem goes away after a couple of days. The dealer was useless for troubleshooting. Bottom line - I don't get the carpet cleaned anymore.

grassam 10-27-2009 01:23 AM

Hi There I have this exact problem and it looks as though your instructions are exactly what I need. I am not able to view the pics that were posted...I may be doing something wrong...thanks very much in advance. Brett

miltonma 12-02-2009 01:11 PM

For those are looking for photos for this issue. There are few in the other forum, the small metal tab moved back a little, use a small flat head screw driver or finger to push it forward from the top so the gear change lever can push it down when it's park position.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=30

treuby4 01-28-2010 01:20 PM

"stuck key" Interlock, Power Rear Doors: 2002 MPV

Originally Posted by jhannema (Post 93060)
Over the weekend, I pulled the intake manifold to change the plugs on my wife's 2002 MPV (w/91k mi), and wound up doing the last part of the job in the rain, (with the - battery terminal disconnected). I finished up, and took it out for a drive, and it ran well (solving the hesitation problem). When i went to take the key out, it wouldn't budge, and I found this thread, and went through the motions re: disabling the solenoid circuit by pulling the ROOM or HAZARD or ignition key fuses, and finally, took apart the steering column and unplugged the connector to disable the TRS.

Of course, now, the power sliding doors don't work. Before I pay the $225 for a TRS switch, is there any way I can be certain that this will fix it, or any way to troubleshoot further? Is it possible that some moisture caused a short, and this will dry out in a week?

Any guidance/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks to this forum for clues on how to solve the "stuck key" problem on our 2002 MPV ES. I pulled the 2-position connector from the left side of the steering column, which allows removal of the key in any shifter position.
The next day I was made aware that the rear sliding doors would not open unless the ignition was switched off. This symptom traces back to the same cause: a broken microswitch arm behind the park position on the gear selector. Having no interest in removing the air bag, steering wheel, etc. and purchasing a $270 replacement part (although the directions and pictures provided through this site and links are excellent), the solution boiled down to cutting the two wires (green and black) to the microswitch. With the wires cut, the power doors may be opened with the gear selector in any position.
If this sounds risky, keep in mind that locking the rear doors or pressing in the sliding door "power off" button in the lower left section of the dashboard will keep the rear doors from opening. In other words, if you treat them just like any other door and lock them when you're in motion, you have no worries about an accidental door opening while in motion. Using the child locks and the "power off" switch will keep small hands from opening the rear doors using either the push-button or the on-door handle.

This fix may not be for everyone, but on a 7-year old vehicle with 127,000 miles, it works well enough for us and probably saved $400 in parts and labor.

phidao 07-20-2010 01:59 PM

What year MPV do you have Grapepot? Assume that is at least a 2002 as you have a TCM under the carpet at drivers footwell. The TCM plays no role at all in the key interlock system. The instrument cluster both gets the signal from that Park position microswitch and controls the solenoid that locks the key in. If you want to repair then you will need to replace the combination switch as I noted earlier in the thread. If you only want to disable then is an easy process but remember that your key will now be removeable in any gear position.
Is a simple matter of locating the connector for the shift lock solenoid and disconnecting. The connector is over on the left side of the steering column just above the ignition switch connector. Pic below is of the connector. Has two wires coming from the harness side. One is Orange and other is Yellow w/ Green stripe. Unplug that connector and key interlock will be disabled.

How do I get the pic. copy and paste cannot get the pic.

phidao 07-20-2010 02:22 PM

can u send a pic how to do it. Thanks bro

phidao 07-20-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by osenessmpv (Post 21716)
hello babyhuey

with your help i was able to figure out a trick that works, i installed a toggle switch under the dashboard or in the small space just like a cellphone compartment, and wired it to the hazzard fuse, so i dont have to open the fuse box near the pedals and pull it out then back, just fine solder the ends of the two wire plug it in the fuse socket where you removed the fuse, cut/break one line, put the fuse in between (solder or better yet make a socket for it), run the wires trough the dash and flip the switch when removing the key. also as an update you can use a push button switch so you wont forget to flip it back to ON when driving and wonder why you dont have signal lights hhehehe,.. hmm ok right now im thinking of putting the switch just beside the ignition key area so it may look like some other cars that you push the button to release the key hmm hehehe. how about that guys. :) make it safe ok.

alright ill see you guys again and to you babyhuey THANKS A LOT and GOD BLESS :)

can u send the pic. so I can do it. Thanks

miltonma 07-21-2010 09:32 AM

picture link

here is the one with picture, scroll down the the page. Hope it helps

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=30

slindsayg29 09-28-2010 03:56 PM

Stuck Ignition Key...

This Formum really helped me and saved me alot of money. My 2006 Tribute key was stuck today and I was prepared to take this to the dealership but thought I would do an internet search. Thankfully reading this formum I thought to check to see if my car was all the way in Park and the car was reading it as so. Once I checked, I saw it was not all the way in park and once I pushed it all the way to park the key came right out.

:):):):):):)
I am so relieved that it was a simple fix!

momsMPV 10-06-2010 06:14 PM

push the other way...

bending the tab (which was about impossible to see without a flashlight) worked! i had to bend it the opposite direction as the pic ( http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=30 )...an eye glasses screwdriver worked great. bent it in/down towards the steering column.

momsMPV 10-13-2010 04:57 PM

fix didn't last

i bent the tab, worked great for a few days, now its doing it again. i tried bending the tab a bit in both directions and neither helped. i can see that when i shift it into park it just barely touches the tab. i can put a tiny screwdriver in and push the tab down(into column) and get the key out whether i'm in park or not, but the tab isn't quite long enough to get under the tooth on the shifter that looks like it should be pushing the tab down. ...any suggestions?

momsMPV 10-13-2010 06:01 PM

oops....loose tab

1 Attachment(s)
so i tried bending it again, and the whole tab came out....it didn't break, just came out....any ideas how to put it back???

treuby4 10-14-2010 08:09 AM

Since you're facing replacing the switch, consider taking a look at post #67 of this topic. I was faced with the same problem and my solution was to cut the wires to the microswitch. This doesn't require disassembling the entire steering wheel.

momsMPV 10-14-2010 11:27 AM

unfortunately not my car...

i suggested that, but it being my moms van, she didn't go for it(worried her aging hubby will pull the key without it being in park)....oh well. tried to save em some cash, but i think they gotta bite the bullet. the bummer is i'm going home tomorrow so i can't even order the part and replace it myself.....was a free fix last week, now its back to $600. bummer.

Harvey1 05-15-2011 09:39 PM

MPV 2001 Key stuck

Thank you for your info, it will be possible to load again all your pictures Icant see it.

thank you

Originally Posted by babyhuey (Post 22593)
Tools you will need to replace the change control lever with park position microswitch so you can remove your key like normal people.
#2 phillips screwdriver
very small flat screwdriver or small prying device
ratchet and 4" or 6" extension
10mm, 12mm, and 21mm socket

First thing to do is to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 5 minutes for the air bag backup battery to deplete stored energy. You will be removing the drivers air bag and this will make it safe to do so. Go grab a beer or something.:D

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/D341C80DA3984DC7A640E5B8C1E2B020.jpg[/IMG]
Remove these small hole covers on both sides of the steering wheel with small flat screwdriver.
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/F028F2495A244B9680EC40670171813D.jpg[/IMG]
Use 10mm socket to remove both of the bolt heads that are under the hole covers. If horn honks then you did not disconnect the battery cable so get-er-done.
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E00F25A22B6D481AAAAF3B2140D85828.jpg[/IMG]
Pull the air bag out and turn it air bag over and use the small flat screwdriver to pry the BLACK portion of this connector up. It should pop up approx 1/4 of an inch and the connector will easily come loose. Do not pry on the orange or yellow connector part with out releasing the BLACK lock in tab or it will break!!
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/CEA25C25C5FE4AB8BB85DC7B97170B0C.jpg[/IMG]
Use ratchet, extension, and 21mm socket to remove the large nut in the center of the steering wheel. Turn nut counterclockwise while holding steering wheel to remove. Release the connector I am pointing to. Notice that I have marked a yellow, vertical line on the steering wheel and steering shaft. This is so you can easily reinstall the steering wheel in the original position so steering wheel is not off-center to one side. Grasp the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and rock back and forth to release steering wheel from shaft. If is being stubborn then alternate between grasping at 12 and 6 o'clock position. If you have a steering wheel puller handy all the better. Make note of how the wires feed thru the hole in steering wheel as you remove. Use a piece of tape to keep the clockspring from turning.
[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/391ACEBB05F34E7BB7AF4453AE4D939E.jpg[/IMG]
Now remove the steering column covers. To remove the upper cover just lift straight up. It will unsnap from the lower cover. Remove lower column cover by removing the three screws that retain it. The one more towards front of van is a different color and thread so make note of that for reinstalling.

Harvey1 05-15-2011 10:08 PM

Key stuck

Thank you for your advise , could you please send me this picture , I can't see it at this time .

Thanks

eddie 06-11-2011 08:30 AM

how do you disable the control switch