Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   Reseting 80,000 miles (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/reseting-80-000-miles-3699/)

harley1350 06-15-2006 02:16 PM

Reseting 80,000 miles

working on 93 MPV with 181,000 miles. can't beat this van for the money i paid for it. replaced the front shocks last weekend and driving like a champ..... kids love the room and not much they can mess up inside. however, My check engine light is on, and tried to pull the codes from the computer. no codes came up. is it the 80,000 miles light that comes on for the O2 sensors to be checked/changed? if so, how do i reset the light. have read about dealers charging up to $150 to reset it. another small problem is that when i start the van, the starter wants to stick to the fly wheel and grind a bit. but it starts just fine. Just wondering if anyone has encountered the same problems.

PS: bought the van for $200 as a friend was shipping out 2 days after i bought it. dont' have maintnance or historical data on it.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

G.

babyhuey 06-15-2006 11:22 PM

RE: Reseting 80,000 miles

The reset is in the backside of the instrument cluster. Need to remove the cluster and locate a screw that is in a hole labels NC. Right next to it is another hole labeled NO. Just remove the screw from whichever one it is in a give a toss over your shoulder so it will not be reset. Be carefull when removing the cluster to disconnect the speedo cable and especially the trans range indicator cable. The indicator is very easily damaged if not disconnected fully. Will need to remove the lower dash panel on drivers side to gain access to it.

harley1350 06-16-2006 04:07 PM

thanks a lot huey, got it done. i guessed that was the reason why i couldn't pull any codes out of the diagnostic plug. I pulled the instrument cluster cover and gently pulled on instrument panel to see the mess that was back there. I disconnected the speedo cable and the main electrical harness. i didn't want to mess with the tranny range indicator so i had my fingers crossed hoping to have enough play out of it.... i did. switched the srew over, being extremely careful not to drop the thing back there, and making sure i wasn't pulling on the trans range cable, and reconnected the speedo and harness. a Job that took me at the most one hour, and the orange light from hell is gone :D the light still works.... i didn't just disconnect it either.
the starter is still grinding a bit once in a while on startup.... is it the over-run clutch that's busted? do they make shims for the MPV starters? just a bit concerned about it, would hate to ruin the flywheel.

a lot of useful knowledge posted on this site, love it.

G.

Malottguy 12-05-2007 01:08 AM

Is that what is needed on my '89 MPV? The light came on at 160,000.

ernestoqjr 01-07-2009 03:11 AM

Hi there....is this the same procedure for 1998 mpv .....