Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   O2 Sensor (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/o2-sensor-8313/)

traysan 05-14-2007 09:06 AM

O2 Sensor

Hi, new member here. I tried to register and post once but I can't find it now. So if this is a repeat I apologize. First I want to thank all those responsible for this forum as it has already helped us a great deal with our new-to-us 2000 MPV. Of course, I do have a question. Per code P0031 bank 1 sensor 1 we replaced the oxygen sensor. My question is - does the check engine light go off of on its own and if so how long does it take? Or - does it have to be reset under the instrument panel I have read so much about? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

sstlaure 05-14-2007 11:01 AM

RE: O2 Sensor

Easiest way to reset it is to go to a local autoparts store and borrow their OBD code reader. You can clear the codes out with that.

Although it is possible the code will reset itself (positive on the 1st point, not sure on the 2nd)

traysan 05-20-2007 08:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. Went to Autozone and reset the light after O2 replacement. Stayed off a whole 5 minutes. Shut it off to go grocery shopping and when I restarted the light stayed on. I have not had a chance to go back by the part store and recheck the code, will try to do later today. I have a feeling I will get the same code since it was the only one that came up before. The new O2 sensor looked a little different (the old one had holes on the end and the new one didn't) but it was the same depth, etc and it fit, although it was extremely hard to get the O2 socket back off. This is a 2000 model MPV, could the light be the 80,000 or 100,000 mile sensor or was that gone by the 2000 year model. Have tried to read through most of the posts but did not find one specific enough to know if I need to do the instrument cluster thing. We would really like to get this light off!!!! Please post any advice. And, again, thank you.

JoseC 05-26-2007 06:39 PM

How coincidental. I spent the better part of this morning just trying to get the box end of the wrench on the bank 1 sensor 1 sensor just to replace it, went to the store to reset the codes and the light came back on after only a couple of minutes. I checked the code and came back with the same one - P0031. Sooooo, I, too, am anxiously awaiting any help on this. I don't want to spend another $95 (or more) on another sensor that might not fix the problem. [:@]

JoseC 05-26-2007 06:41 PM

And to make it even more coincidental - I have a 2000 MPV as well with over 100k miles.

babyhuey 05-26-2007 11:50 PM

There is not a maintenance reminder in your van as was present in the older MPV traysan. CEL on means a currect problem has been detected. Which sensor did you replace for the P0031? Should have been the one located in the upper part of the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine. Right side being the bank of cylinders closer to the firewall or windshield and not the side closer to the front of van and radiator. Perhaps the wrong sensor is being replaced. Code to be set and CEL on would require two drive cycles which would mean starting the engine and driving for a time, shutting off engine and then restarting again. traysan would have done that by starting the van after clearing code from parts store and then shutting off and restarting from grocery store. Was yours reset in the same way JoseC?

traysan 05-27-2007 02:43 PM

babyhuey, looks like we might have replaced the wrong one as it was on the radiator side down low. Will search for the other one when we get a chance. We are traveling now so the change may have to wait a week or so. I really appreciate the reply. This site is sooooo much help and I notice that you are one of the biggest helpers! Thanks again! :)

Would also love to hear how it goes with you, JoseC.

JoseC 05-27-2007 03:03 PM

I agree with traysan. It looks like we spent a couple of hours changing out the wrong sensor. Luckily, I kept the old sensor and I can splice the wires. However, can I use it to replace the faulty sensor? I see that they each have different part numbers but I'm thinking that may be due to the fact that they have different wire lengths?
Babyhuey, thanks for the tips. You literally own this forum because of your knowledge and experience.
Thanks
JoseC

JoseC 05-27-2007 04:01 PM

Well, splicing the wires isn't as easy as anticipated. There are two black wires and I don't know which goes where - or does it matter? So, I'm on hold for now until I get a good answer.
I've also read in another forum that the offending sensorin this caseis extremely difficult to take out because of a shield around the sensor. I haven't looked at it yet but will do so soon. Looks like I'll need to use an O2 sensor removal tool that Autozone might loan out for free.
JoseC

babyhuey 05-30-2007 07:34 PM

Are you working on splicing the sensor back up that is on radiator side oron back side of engine. The two black wires are for power and ground for the O2 sensor heater which is what set the code initially. Should not make a difference if you switch them around unless your aftermarket O2 has marked the wires for power side and ground side. One of the black wires gets 12 volts from the main relay and the other one goes to the PCM for control of the ground circuit to turn the heater on and off much like a switch. The blue wire in the OE sensor is sensor signal output to the PCM. White wire just goes to ground point.