Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   NOOO!!! 1995 MPV gasping for air then dies! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/nooo-1995-mpv-gasping-air-then-dies-7424/)

pv107 03-25-2007 04:11 AM

NOOO!!! 1995 MPV gasping for air then dies!

Arrrhhh!!!! I just recently tuned my 1995 MPV back to life (new tires, K&N filter, Iridium sparkplugs, etc... even SeaFoamed it!). But while I was changing the air filter, I disconnected the harness that goes into the airbox. I didn't know it was going to be tiny little wire terminals hooked up to it, so Iaccidently disconnected the connections. I plugged the little terminals back in, but every time I turn on the ignition, it gasps for air, then dies within 2-3sec!!! The engine turns over fine. Anyone have any ideas?

babyhuey 03-26-2007 06:13 PM

RE: NOOO!!! 1995 MPV gasping for air then dies!

You mean that all of the little individual wires pulled out of the airflow meter connector on the air box? Sounds like the wireswere perhaps not reinstalled into the correct spots. Is this what happened??

pv107 04-01-2007 06:34 PM

Yes! Thats what happened. I even tried soldering the connections, but no luck. Might I have to buy a new air mass sensor, or the entire air intake unit?

babyhuey 04-02-2007 09:40 PM

If the wires pins pulled out of the body of the mass air flow sensor then you will need to get a new one/used one. If the wires only pulled out of the connector that plugs into the air flow meter then perhaps they were just not installed in the right order in the connector. There should be seven wires in this connector and if they are not reinstalled in the correct order from one side to the otherthen signals to the computer will all be wrong. Let me know if it was just the wires that pulled out of the connectorand will get you a wire color list and order that the wires need to be reinstalled.

babyhuey 04-03-2007 08:29 PM

Got some pics of MPV air flow and harness so thought would just go ahead and list how the wires go back into the connector.
In the first picture you can see all 7 wires with the protective boot pulled back. Starting on the left side or where my finger is the wire colors should be as follows in this order. Black w/ Red stripe, Black w/ Orange stripe, Brown w/ Black stripe. Black w/ White stripe, Black w/ White stripe, Green w/ Black stripe, and finally Green w/ Orange stripe. You will note that there are two wires that are Black w/ White stripe. These two cannot be interchanged. The first one in the row or the one next to the wire that is Brown w/ Black stripe can be distinguished in two ways. It is slightly larger in diameter than the other one of same color. It should also have battery voltage at it when the key is in run position and connector is unplugged from the MAF. The other smaller wire will not have any voltage at all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/D88114F99A674205BD98D3C6F65B40CF.jpg[/IMG]
This is the connector plugged into the MAF with protective boot pulled back to expose the wires.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/345A1452D947409ABA1A6F65E2D167DA.jpg[/IMG]
If the wires are pulled out of this connector then you should be able to repair.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/973152E74118479A9BE08CE6DF635B85.jpg[/IMG]
If the pins are pulled right out of the MAF sensor then you should start looking for another one.

pv107 04-09-2007 02:04 AM

Thanks for the info, but now i'm really kicking myself! I didn't know that the harness could be pulled out as shown on the pictures. What I did is unscrew the 2 screws that secure it to the airbox! I when I pulled out the harness, I ripped out the inner connections. Here is the picture of what I did. Keep in mind, the picture I posted iswhen I tried to reconnect everything.

I guess I'm screwed. Do I have to buy a new unit?

http://a530.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...a44ff7bf01.jpg

pv107 06-13-2007 06:22 PM

Wheeewww! My MPV works again! I had no choice but to order a used Air Mass Sensor from a donor vehicle at eBay. I ordered a new one three months ago, but i'm still waiting on it!!! So I ordered this used one because I couldn't let the MPV sit in the garage anymore.

babyhuey 06-15-2007 07:06 PM

That is good news pv107.[sm=happy046.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

What would be wrong with just leaving the good used one in there?? New ones are EXPENSIVE and really did not have many problems at all with that style of air flow meter. Just no more taking out those little screws:D