Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   MPV power seat failure (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/mpv-power-seat-failure-24781/)

wildhare 11-07-2010 09:17 AM

MPV power seat failure

I own a 2002 MPV ES with power seats.

The up/down control for the front half of the driver's seat has failed. The rear part works but the fro9nt part does not, although the motor runs.

I called Mazda and they said it would cost $100 diagnostic and probably $200-300 to fix it depending on what's wrong. Being Saturday, I decided to investigate myself.

What I found is that each half of the seat (front and back) is controlled by a separate motor/worm gear/jack screw asembly. When you push the button the motor drives a little transmission unit which drives a jack screw one direction or the other. One of them was working fine, the other one something had happened internally and though the motor runs nothing happens. The little unit assembly is easy to remove/replace once the seat is laid over on its back.

Now the bad news, Mazda does not sell this unit separately.

Does anybody out there have a lead on one of these items? It's not practical to try to replace the whole seat frame just for this minor mechanical part.

The MPV is a really nice vehicle, I'd like to keep it fully functional.

WH

jddalebout 08-28-2012 05:58 PM

I am curious to know if you ever found a solution. My 2002 MPV just had the same thing happen with the front tilt jack screw that I could feel was broken. The motor drives but the screw does not turn and adjust the seat. I just called Mazda and they do not sell individual parts which is typical. I am in the same situation, not sure just to leave it or tear the seat apart and attempt to fix or weld the jack screw assembly. Has anyone tried that?

wildhare 08-29-2012 09:54 AM

I took the seat out and analyzed the problem. There is a drive shaft coming from the motor that turns the jack screw assembly. One end rides in the motor shaft and the other end is retained by a black plastic cap, not unlike a bottle cap, that screws on to the end of the housing.

That black cap had cracked allowing the drive shaft to float around and disengage from the gears.

I tried to get a machinist to make a new cap but he flaked out on me. It should be a simple thing, and if someone knows a machinist I still have the parts, I'd like to get one made and maybe a second one for this fellow.

Anybody know somebody with a lathe?

jddalebout 08-31-2012 03:21 PM

Was yours the front half of the tilt on the seat? How much labor was it to get the seat apart? Hope you get it fixed.

tedburt 08-22-2015 07:37 PM

Hello,
First time poster to this forum. We own a 2002 MPV ES with 175K on the clock.
We're experiencing this same problem, with the same question, "Where can we get the little plastic cap?" Looks to be in the 20-21mm size range. Any thoughts?

grim_reaper 08-23-2015 04:29 AM

Have you rung a Mazda Wrecker?

wildhare 08-24-2015 08:23 AM

I ended up buying a seat from a junk yard and getting the parts from there. I think it's outrageous that Mazda will not service any parts of the seat.

I sold the MPV and bought something from a more credible manufacturer. Mazda vehicles are great but I can't buy another one after this experience.