Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   MPV 2001-LOSING POWER W/ HOT DRIVING (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/mpv-2001-losing-power-w-hot-driving-8927/)

Bobo4u 06-15-2007 08:37 AM

MPV 2001-LOSING POWER W/ HOT DRIVING

Hey all,

My 2001 MPV loses power when I try to punch the gas form a crusing speed. I also noticed it becomes increasingly worse at lower speeds as the engine warms up. Lately when in park the idle is low and rough.

No engine light comes on, had the ignition coil and sprak plugs changes, ensuing this problem. The problem persists. My friend who is a mechanic tells me nothing came up on the scanner. The engine revs fine on idle with no load which would indicate fuel pressure is OK, but am having it checked out today?

I suspect there could be a preblem with the EGR valvethe scanner has not picked up. I wastold weit could notbe the catelectic converter backing up because the staling would have not been progessive.

I appreciate anyone's input at this point. I am totally confused.:(

Regards

babyhuey 06-15-2007 07:19 PM

RE: MPV 2001-LOSING POWER W/ HOT DRIVING

Fuel pressure and volume demands are very low when just freereving the engine as compared to driving and a cruise and jumping to wide open throttle. Make sure the pressure is checked not just idling in the shop but when the power loss is occuring. Would not suspect an EGR valve to be source of power loss on freeway.
Explain more about "because the staling would have not been progessive." Did not read any mention of stalling but only loss of power on accel. A restricted exhuast, especially from catalytic converter deterioration, could definitely be the source of problem. The converter does not usually just instantly clog up but deteriorates gradually, breaks apart or melts, in slower stages. Restriction would also tend to increase as it get hotter. Most everything expands when heated and if the honeycomb type monolith element within the cat is already restricting flow it would get worse as it heated up and expanded. Try just loosening up the exhaust connection bolts between the front pipes and cat converter. This will create an exhaust leak that will give all of that exhaust somewhere to go instead of just backing up into the engine and see if your power loss diminishes or goes away.

Bobo4u 06-15-2007 07:45 PM

Hey babyhuey!

Been tracking your work...pretty impressive.

I was under the impression once a restriction with the catalytic converter occurs it is game over? As I crudely mentionned before the problem definetly gets worse with the heat and eventually the van may not turn over; or so I am told.

Can you give me an idea of the cost for a fuel pump or regulator? What about a new catalytic converter?

Thanks again!

babyhuey 06-20-2007 04:54 PM

OE fuel pump assembly retail is $232.75
Fuel pressure regulator is $48.61
If Van does not have California emissions and does not have warm-up converters in the exhaust manifold then a main cat will be around $570. If you do have warm-up cats in the manifolds then they are $765 per side.