Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   interferance engine or not? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/interferance-engine-not-3775/)

harley1350 06-23-2006 01:00 PM

interferance engine or not?

are the 93 mpv's running interferance engine? do the pistons occupy the same space as the valves? (well obviously not at the same time) if so, a timing belt failure would be real bad news. I had a porsche 944 that was the same way. and it that's the case i'll change that sucker just for GP and peace of mind.

thanks

babyhuey 06-23-2006 02:22 PM

RE: interferance engine or not?

JE engine in the MPV is not an interferance engine. T-belt breaks then just put on a new one and away you go. Couple of things to look for on that knocking noise. Hydraulic valve lifters very prone to collapsing and producing a ticking sound from the valve cover area. A deeper, more erratic knock noise could very well be from a failed hydraulic tensioner for the timing belt allowing the belt to slap against the cover. If you are going to get in there keep in mind that value line kit from Mazda P/N JF00-12-207 MV. Is an excellent deal for all of the parts you get, expecially on a higher mileage engine.

harley1350 06-23-2006 05:47 PM

babyhuey, you're just full of useful knowledge. Alright, during lunch i opened up the hood when i was hearing the tap/slap, when i looked down at the engine i could see a gap between the head and the TB cover and could actually see the pulley. there was a white dot on the section that i could see, leading me to believe that the TB had been changed at least once. when i applied pressure to close the gap of the cover, the noise dropped dramatically and i i could feel the cover beeing slapped...... now i'm suspecting a colapsed tensioner as you had mentioned. I found kit # JF00-12-207-MV online and they state that it includes the tensioner, is that correct?

another thing is that parts stores online are listing the 3.0 for a 93 as SOHC, but i'm pretty sure it's a DOHC.

is there a test or procedure to check the hydraulic lifters? since i'll be in there knee deep in a week or so, figure i might as well get it all checked out.

apreciate all of your repplies, and hope that someday i'll be able to help other members out with their problems.

G

babyhuey 06-23-2006 09:06 PM

The kit includes the belt, both idler bearings and the tensioner bearing but not the actual hydraulic tensioner that is suspect of being collapsed. Separate part #JF01-12-770B. You also want to get the tensioner bearing pivot which also has a tendency to wear out. Part number for that is JF01-12-754. Pic at bottom is the hydraulic tensioner. If you can depress the plunger at the top with your hand then it is failed. Requires a large vice or hydraulic press to compress a good one. Also took one of the kit contents.
When it is listed as a SOHC that typically refers to the number of cams per cylinder head. You do have two cams but only one at each cylinder head so SOHC would apply to your MPV.
Not really a good way to test a hydraulic lifter unless it is collapsed when you are checking it. You will not be needing to pull the valve covers to get knee deep in that belt but if you do then would be a time to check the lifters. The lifter is located on the valve end of the rocker arm. There should be no rocking movement of the rocker arm at any time as they are zero lash adjusters. If the rocker moves then that lifter is bad. There have been numerous updated parts to quite valve lifters over the years. The latest and last that I know of involves replacing the rocker/HLA and all four rails with updated parts that are designed to increase oil flow to the HLA. Is a spendy one though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/C1E43B05DF9E458BA7875B9DE1885A6E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/2B65840C5BC94394B5A5624E1580DF4B.jpg[/IMG]