Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   engine stutters (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/engine-stutters-22020/)

keptwoman 03-17-2010 04:09 PM

engine stutters

I'm not knowledgeable about cars at all, so I'm not sure how to describe my 2000 MPV's problem. Nor can I figure out which existing topic to look at.

The engine sometimes "stutters".
I notice this when the RPM needle is between 2 and 3.
Usually when I'm accelerating.
But not when I accelerate from a stop (I think that means not in first gear).
I feel the car go jerk-jerk-jerk, almost as if it's not getting fuel, then it is getting fuel.

Thanks for any help.
JMA

shamusm 03-29-2010 10:32 AM

Sounds like it might be a misfire. Check the spark plugs and the wires. I believe the 2000-01 models have spark plug wire and a coil instead of the coil on plug like the 2002 and newer MPVs.

keptwoman 03-30-2010 10:01 PM

Thanks for the idea. I'll tell my mechanic to try that.

ansonone 03-31-2010 10:52 AM

Engine Stutters

Mine has the same problem, so I attached a code reader and it listed the #1 cylinder as misfiring. Of course, it is not always misfiring: otherwise, there would be a continual "stutter." The misfire can be either the ignition coil, spark plug, ignition wire, or any combination. I ordered the ignition coil for $50 from an Internet company, and will replace the wires to fix the problem or chaulk it up as mere maintenance. Since the stuttering does not happen all the time, I have not replaced the parts yet. Hopefully that is the solution and the check engine light stays off after resetting with a code reader. Checking the Internet, the misfire is more common than not, and often the culprit is the ignition coil.

crunion 04-26-2010 12:15 PM

Engine Stutters

Hello,

My 2000 MPV had what sounds like the same problem. It was most noticeable when the van was shifting into overdrive. I initially thought it might have been a transmission problem but finally the CEL started blinking and it threw a Cylinder #3 Misfire code (I think P0303).

Turns out my problem was caused by the #3 spark plug wire. I replaced the coil first and the problem remained. A new set of wires has it running smooth.

Carl Runion
Knoxville TN

keptwoman 02-25-2011 10:46 PM

Hello,

Keptwoman (my wife) let me login to continue our saga with our 2000 Mazda MPV. We had stuttering problems that seemed to be fixed when I replaced all the plugs in June of 2010. I can't say for sure that it fixed it completely, but it was at least a significant improvement. So now, Feb 2011, and for the last several months, the MPV has stuttering but it is limited to only when it is in overdrive (OD). It seems to occur whenever there is any attempt to accelerate from a stable speed, and often when I start to accelerate out of a curve after lifting my foot off the accelerator pedal the slightest bit as when going into the curve.

I experimented a bit by pushing and releasing the button that restricts the MPV from going into OD. It can be doing it fairly regularly (every 5 or 10 seconds a stutter or two) and it will immediately stop when it shifts out of OD (forced by the button). Allowing it to go into OD again brings back the condition.

I'm hoping this OD experiment will give someone a clue as to the source of the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ggsumo 02-26-2011 05:37 AM

I would always check all the cheap stuff first - plugs (clean and gap or replace), air filter, fuel filter. The fact its in overdrive may just be that this puts a greater load on the engine hence any fault will be highlighted.

Also - if you dont already put some gas additive in to clean the injectors (its Redex in the UK)

keptwoman 03-01-2011 10:12 PM

Thanks for your suggestions ggsumo. Do you know if there is any way to test a wire set for it being the cause? As I mentioned, I replaced the plugs about 8 months ago so I don't think it could be that. Also, I don't get any CEL indication of a problem. I just experience the stuttering.

ggsumo 03-02-2011 05:29 PM

There are tests you can do with a mutlimeter but it relies on the lead being totally kaput before its worthwhile.
Generally the insulation is what breaks down on the leads and you may be able to see this lifting the bonnet in a very dark place with the engine running, if you see sparks / flickers of light then change the leads. There used to be tests you could do by sending a spark through to the plug with the plug out of the engine but with the event of electronic ignitions and ECU its definitely not to be done. The voltages these days are huge - so be really careful whatever you do.