Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   Drive cycle needed to complete EVAP and O2 readings for SMOG (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/drive-cycle-needed-complete-evap-o2-readings-smog-30730/)

hitechseeker 12-22-2012 12:25 AM

Drive cycle needed to complete EVAP and O2 readings for SMOG

Is there a description of the drive cycle needed to pass the Smog requirements after a reset of the CEL, for an MPV 1996. I could not find anything in the user manual.
:confused:

tanprotege 12-22-2012 12:36 PM

Try this:

MazdaTirol posted this on another thread:
From a google search:
"Here is a Mazda drive cycle:

Pre-requisites: MIL off and no DTCs present (this is where clearing your codes comes in); fuel level between 15 and 85%; all accessories OFF; cold start (preferred 8 hour cold soak w/ engine between 68 and 86 deg F at start-up)

1) Start vehicle and idle 5 min.
2) Rev engine in neutral or park to 2300-2700 rpm for 15 seconds
3)Rev engine in neutral or park to 3800-4200 rpm for 15 seconds
4)Idle engine for 20 seconds with cooling fan stopped.
5)Accelerate to 52-55 mph, maintain speed (in high gear) for 1 1/2 minutes
6) Decelerate to 15 mph, and then drive for 13 minutes at speeds ranging from 15 to 35 mph
7) maintain steady 25 mph for 50 seconds.

Each step of the drive cycle indicates a test for a different monitor on the vehicle (catalyst, o2 sensor, evap, etc) so each step is important. Some vehicles are a pain and may require a few drive cycles. "

hitechseeker 12-22-2012 08:24 PM

Thanks very much for the response. I did the first drive cycle today but did not see any of the three values "completed". The O2 heater had completed. Ah well, I will try again. Its an MPV 1996 with a new Engine, Transmission, and battery. I am not ready to let it go just yet, but it is getting annoying now.

tanprotege 12-22-2012 08:28 PM

This must refer to the 96 MPV then:
Some vehicles are a pain and may require a few drive cycles.

hitechseeker 12-23-2012 07:45 PM

TanProtege, this is indeed a pain.

If I could see that even a small percentage of the "calibration" is complete I would be able to declare progress, but with mu OBDII just saying incomplete makes me impatient.Is there any way to know that progress is going towards the complete status. My O2 heater check is declared complete but not the O2 or the EVAP or the CAT.

tanprotege 12-24-2012 11:41 AM

honestly, I don't know. I suppose a mazda diagnostic computer would be able to tell. but who wants to throw $$ at electrons? Keep driving the %^$#&%# beast.

MazdaTirol 12-24-2012 12:29 PM

There is no way to tell how close you are to being complete, you just have to drive it like Tan said. Drive it for a few days and check the status of it, if you drive it for a week and it still wont pass the other tests then their is probably something wrong but until then keep driving.

hitechseeker 01-05-2013 09:40 AM

Tanprotege, thanks for your information on drive cycles. I have learnt a lot about Emissions and Smog. I followed your recommendations and repeated the drives cycles a few times and passed the SMOG test yesterday. I found that using the OBD2 did allow me to track those non-continuous monitors and see progress in going from incomplete to complete. The last one to complete was the Evaporative system. I had quite a bit of work done on the engine and was afraid that perhaps something had gone wrong in the wiring. Anyway, all is good. Thnaks again to you and MazdaTirol.

:D:D

tanprotege 01-05-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback! i am glad it worked out for you and I love to see the big smiles!:D:D

Tan:D:D:D

Lovemazda 10-16-2017 02:47 AM

Hi, I would like share that I final pass catalyst monitor
1. Drive 15 mph for 10 minutes (in city)
2. Drive 25 mph for 10 minutes (in city)
​​​​​​​3. Drive 35 mph for 10 minutes (in city)
​​​​​​​4. Drive 45 mph for 10 minutes (in city)
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​5. Drive 55 mph for 10 minutes (in city)
​​​​​​