Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   direction of strut mount notches? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/direction-strut-mount-notches-34079/)

JSTJ704 08-17-2014 06:08 PM

direction of strut mount notches?

I replaced my struts a while my passside strut bearing went bad. I replaced it and it went bad again. Now I have a alldatadiy account. I was using a impact to tighten the strut nut could this cause the bearing to go bad over tighting? Also there is a halfmoon notch on the edge of the strut where does it point I have it pointing toward motor. I read somewhere it needs to be pointing outward from motor. What makes the differents where the notch is pointing? Can bad sway bar endlink make the beariong go bad?

Any tips for me this time i'am not going to not use impact and use trouqe wrench to specs.

Thanks

Jug

JSTJ704 08-17-2014 08:16 PM

I was hearing a nosie on the pass. I took my strut out assbembly I noticed my sway bar end link upper tie rod link is sloppy. I also pressed my strut the bearing looked good. On the direction of mount I seen there is a dent or notch on the upper spring seat just like on the mount do you line them two dents together and install?

tanprotege 08-17-2014 09:49 PM

J: Welcome to the forum!

I connot answer your question myself but I found this thread:

Strut mounts install

Are there white dots on your new mounts?

It is best to replace the struts and mounts together and on both sides. Only use high quality parts, no cheap knock offs. If the nuts are tightened unevenly they may bend the base of the strut mount and that can cause bearing failure. After completing the job have the wheels aligned.

JSTJ704 08-18-2014 07:58 PM

thanks no white dots

JSTJ704 08-18-2014 08:05 PM

I installed the pass strut right this time then. I am replacing the sway bar end links on the passide and driver. I hear creeek when going slow turning sometimes the sway bar end link is shot on pass side. I haven't had noise from driverside and the sway bar end link is good but I still replaced it. I didn't get new mounts but I got bearings my mounts don't have even rust on them, but that doesn't matter. I will also tighten mount with trouqe wrench tommarow. If I have problam I will just replace mounts I guess. The struts are pretty new

tanprotege 08-18-2014 08:41 PM

A creaking noise could also come from the rubber bushings of the the sway bar. Maybe you can take them out and cover them with a silicone grease and put them back. You can check that by parking the car and opening the door wide. Then use the door for leverage to rock the car. If you hear a creak it is most likely the sway bar bushings.

If the creaking noise only happens while you turn the steering wheel it is most likely caused by the strut mount. There is a thrust bearing inside of it and it is worn out.