Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   cant get any codes FRUSTRATED! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/cant-get-any-codes-frustrated-2514/)

matt 03-14-2006 06:54 PM

cant get any codes FRUSTRATED!

got a 1990 v6 2 whl drv check engine light on all the time.went word for word by the haynes manual on how to get trouble codes from self diagnoses computer but check light just stays solid no flash no nothin! anybody else have same problem? anyone have an answer to this frustrating problem?

babyhuey 03-14-2006 09:32 PM

RE: cant get any codes FRUSTRATED!

At what mileage did the CEL come on? There is a maintenance reminder system for oxygen sensor replacment that turns the CEL on every 80,000 miles with no fault codes stored.

matt 03-15-2006 04:02 PM

matt here again. thanks babyhuey.ill try replacing the sensor, now when i do should the light go out on its own or do i have to get at those screws behind the instrument cluster to manually turn it off? Thanks again for answering!

babyhuey 03-15-2006 05:42 PM

Sensor replacement is optional and up to you. Is not usually a bad idea as a weak or failing oxygen sensor can increase your fuel consumption. The light will not go off however untill you access the grounding screw in the back of the instrument cluster. You might consider just throwing the screw out instead of transferring it to the other hole unless you want to do it all over in another 80k miles. Sounds like you know what you will be looking for behind the cluster but if need direction then give a post.

matt 03-16-2006 01:47 AM

well it took about an hour and a half but i finally got the screw swapped behind the instrument cluster and YES! YES! YES! that friggin light is finally out.what a pain in the but! the one step in the haynes manual telling you to use a pair of needle nose to undo the clip for the gear selecter indicator is very confusing.the picture they show is just a stupid angle and doesnt show what your looking for at all.i havnt put a new ox sensor in yet im going to do that tomorrow as the u.a.p. store wont have it till then.ive only had the van for about a year and ahalf.the hole time that stupid light has been on so i am very happy. next is finding out why the new brake rotors warped after only five months or so. :D thanx again baby huey!

babyhuey 03-16-2006 04:46 PM

Glad to be of some help matt.
The front brake rotors on 89-91 MPV were always prone to warping front rotors as they are too thin for a vehicle of that size and weight at only 24mm standard thickness. In 92 Mazda beefed up the rotors to 30mm in 2WD van and 28mm in 4X4 model and the problem magically disappeared.[:@]
Take a close look at the caliper slide pins and boots to make sure they are allowing the calipers to slide smooth and easy. Dry slides or ones that have been lubed with petroleum based grease (that swells up the rubber boots) are another common cause of rotor warpage as the calilper is dragging all the time and overheating the rotors. I have used a product called CRC synthetic brake caliper grease for many years and am always happy with the performance.

Gladius 09-05-2006 05:38 AM

How much of a pain would it be to upgrade the front brakes on a 1990 MPV 2WD? Assumming same bolt pattern, hopefully 92 calipers and rotors would bolt right up?

babyhuey 09-07-2006 10:35 PM

At minimum you would need rotors, calipers, and caliper mounts. Do not know if the caliper mounts would bolt right up to the steering knuckle however. There might be a difference in bolt spread distance between the two styles. If still interested let me know and will check to see if part number for the knuckle is same for the different years.

Gladius 09-07-2006 10:53 PM

No hurry.. if you happen to have the opportunity then that would be nice. I am not currently having any issues, was just trying to have options if it does. Thank you for your help.

babyhuey 09-08-2006 10:18 PM

The steering knuckles used in the MPV for the 2WD model are the same from 1989 to 1998 so that should give you a big selection to pic from Gladius.
4X4 knuckles however change part numbers several times.