Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   97 MPV will not start! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/97-mpv-will-not-start-8875/)

mr944 06-13-2007 12:50 PM

97 MPV will not start!

I have a 97 MPV 3.0L Sport 4x4. It has been running fine for the past year. I let it sit for about 2 weeks. Now, it will not start. It turns over fine. Very Strong battery. I have not given it a tune up in a while, so I replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. STILL does not start. All fluids are topped off. All the plugs are coated in gas after turning the car over, and over, and over (so I don't think it is a fuel issue). I checked every fuse I could find in the car and under the hood. All good. I even pulled the battery to reset the computer. No start. I pulled one of the plugs (the new ones) to test with a jumper to ground (to check for spark). I do not get spark 90% of the time. Once in a while, there will be spark...the engine tries to start for about 1 second, then dies. Crank it again...no spark, no start. I thought it might have something to do with the distributor/coil/ignition module combo unit. Mechanic at Mazda I spoke with has never had to replace one. He suggested the crank sensor, but was not 100% sure. Does this make any sense to anyone? It is a $140 part, so I don't want to start just shotguning the issue. Where in the world is the crank sensor anyway?

I am open to suggestions. Unfortuneately, I do not have a scan tool for pulling codes, so that option is out unless I have it towed. I also do not have a lot of $$$ to throw at a mechanic right now. I am very handy with cars, but this problem is confusing me.

DollyDagger 06-13-2007 01:04 PM

RE: 97 MPV will not start!

this probably isn't it, but have you tried moving the steering wheel when you start it?

mr944 06-13-2007 01:12 PM

That is an interesting thought. I have not tried that. What connection to ignition does that have?

DollyDagger 06-13-2007 02:48 PM

no clue, but it works on my moms mpv, so i thought i would throw it out.

Hands on 08-05-2007 01:35 PM

Have a 98 MPV 3.0L hope is the same motor as 97. The crank sensor is located beside the crank pulley at the bottom
close to the edge of the oil pan. You will need a #10 wrench to take it out. Just one bolt.
If you go to your local scrap yard look for any mazda 929 3.0L engine prefer 1993. It is the same
sensor located at the very same spot as your MPV. Very cheap from the Junk yard.
GOOD LUCK

mr944 08-06-2007 09:53 AM

:DThe problem has been solved. I got a used distributor from a junk yard. That fixed it immediately. It has been running fine since then. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

*The dealer's mechanic told me that the distributor never fails. [:-]

Hands on 08-06-2007 04:46 PM

Looking for a used distributor for my 1998 MPV 3.0L, any one knows of a junk yard where I can get one.
My timing belt broke, replaced the belt, set timing but she will not start. Changed the crank sensor and still she will not start.
I think it is the distributor.
Any help much appreciated

mr944 08-06-2007 06:41 PM

The yard I bought my distributor from only had one. It was the only one in the area. Most used parts yards have a national database they can look at for parts. That is how I found mine. Try that.

Disagnostics were helpful with the use of a scan tool. It gave me some good hints regarding the root cause of the problem. Are you getting any spark at all? If you are getting good spark, the timing may not be set correctly.

bluntmanmazda 08-07-2007 02:42 AM

well from the sounds of it, that DEFENITELY has something to do with ur ignition module, or coil...................the ignition module is what tells the coil it needs to send a spark to the distributor every time the rotor has made a full revolution (thats what the module does, measures revolutions) so if ur module isnt working properly, then ur not going to get a spark from ur coil, however if ur coil isn't working, ur not going to get one either lol, what u can do that is pretty cheap tho, take both things off, n take them to get tested at ur local auto zone, its free to test both coils and modules............if its not one of those two thenn..........................i would need to know some more stuff on whats happening with ur van when u try turning it on

Hands on 08-07-2007 05:52 PM

Bluntmanmazda!!! You say Advance auto can test my distributor?? I never knew that .....Thnax