Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   95 MPV PCV valve location? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/95-mpv-pcv-valve-location-6989/)

ChuckChuck 02-27-2007 11:38 AM

95 MPV PCV valve location?

Hi everyone,
I have a 95 MPV, V6 and am looking for the location of the PCV valve so I can replace it. I am hearing what sounds to be a serious valve tap ever after changing the oil it comes back after a few days. I was told to try to replace the PCV valve and that sometimes they make a tapping sound when old. The vehicle has 115k miles and the trans was rebuilt last year. The engine runs great and is very powerful but I am afraid to take it far due to the tapping. I need to take a 1000 mile round trip from Phila PA to Winston Salem NC in a few days and didn't want to rent a car. I think it the MPV can make it but I don't know if should take the chance.
Any help appreciated.

babyhuey 02-27-2007 10:34 PM

RE: 95 MPV PCV valve location?

It probably is valve lifters collapsing and not the PCV valve. Lifters were notorious for collapsing on early to mid 90's MPV. Ours clatters a little bit on cold start but goes away after a minute or so. Have heard some that were super noisy all the time and never get fixed as the repairs are fairly expensive. Not going to leave you stranded of anything. Loosing some engine performance is all because the valves are not opening as fully as they should in the affected cylinder(s). Will take of pic of PCV at any rate tonight as van is at home and I am still at work.

ChuckChuck 02-28-2007 10:07 AM

thank you very much for the help and the picture in advance. so you'd say its ok for the 1000 mile trip? sounds good. i will change the oil tonight and put some new tires and hit the road.
thank you again for your help.

babyhuey 03-01-2007 05:59 PM

Should be just fine on the trip with a couple of lifters tapping.
Finally some pics. Since it is kind of buried back behind the intake manifold. I started taking pic from far away and closer until PCV valve is shown inline with the black PCV pipe in center of last pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E21F47852D064785A19AC6BA8559E4E8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/49076C0016944D2A8E01B56695B7CBA5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/EFF8FE50B57F4817AF0900347E2ED337.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/609989C51CE84E8484125B69914167E9.jpg[/IMG]

gandhitaymour 06-06-2007 05:56 PM

hi I own a 1992 Mazda MPV and I'm also having problems locating the PCV valve, by these photos however everything looks exactly the same on my '92. Could you please circle or explain a little clearer as to which is the PCV valve? if you could circle it, it'll be a great help.

This is my first post on these forums, I appreciate any help, thank you!

babyhuey 06-07-2007 07:38 PM

Sorry was not a very good pic on the last one as it shows the PCV the best. In the last picture, if you look at the top center area you can see the silver hose clamp that attaches PCV hose to intake manifold. Just down from that silver clamp is a short length of black hose and then another silver clamp. The PCV is the next thing downwards after that second clamp. Hope that makes more clear.

ed51 08-18-2007 11:45 AM

babyhuey, I asked the same question. I found it on your fourth photo. Sould have read this before I asked the question.

L505 04-16-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by babyhuey (Post 35010)
PCV valve is shown inline with the black PCV pipe in center of last pic.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/E21F47852D064785A19AC6BA8559E4E8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/49076C0016944D2A8E01B56695B7CBA5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/EFF8FE50B57F4817AF0900347E2ED337.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/609989C51CE84E8484125B69914167E9.jpg[/IMG]

This web forum or database must have errors in it because I can not see the images. Would be nice to see them even though this is an old post.

I cannot find the PCV valve on my Mazda MPV and the Haynes manual along with the Workshop manual are absolutely useless as usual, telling the person nothing about actually locating the PCV.

If I could ring the neck of the people who write the uttlerly useless shop manuals and Haynes manuals I would proceed until the authors suffocated and died twice before they died a third time.

DragnWagn 09-30-2009 02:34 PM

I absolutely agree about Haynes books. I have several(stupid, I know), and the one for this says the PCV is in the left v.cover front on V6. That's right where it is..., on the 4cyl.:mad:
Those pics don't display for me either, but his desc. puts it where I thought I had found it. Another way to find it is, go to rear of p-side head. You'll see a small fixture/outlet heading towards throttle body(to your right, looking backwards. Follow it over and up. Small,vertical piece between clamps should be it.

My van has 275K on it, so I didn't want to touch it without knowing for sure. Everything breaks when you touch it since it's so old. And it's all expensive/hard to find.

Thanks all for helping me be sure. Now my oil will stay cleaner longer.

Also, mine's been tapping, loud and quiet, and sometimes not at all, for more than 150K. It is the crappy hyd. adjusters, and it isn't good for it. But they're very pricey and a bitch to change, especially d-side.

It's a runnin' little mutha though, sound's nasty with my big turbo muffler on it.:D

Life-long mechanic/machinist here, anything I can help with, just ask.:cool:

L505 10-01-2009 05:20 AM

I was able to find mine and I replaced it. Haynes was no help at all. The pcv was hidden and barely visible since it is camoflauge inline with the hose. And the replacement I got was a bit different visibly, different color, bigger, so it was hard to locate just eyeballing the replacement part. Replacing it in my case didn't seem to help anything, but glad I replaced it anyway to rule it out. I shook the old one and it was fine. My van(s) burn(s) a bit of oil on start up so it may be the valve seals. I thought changing the pcv valve would help.

The lifter noise is common in all of these MPV's when they are cold. Usually it goes away after about 5-15 minutes. If you have tapping when it is HOT after 15-30 minutes then that's a problem for sure. Funny enough I got a second van and a spark plug was loose, adding to that noise. Once I tightened up spark plug it made less noise, but still that lifter tap. It is not too harmful (I've read), to leave that lifter tapping noise as long as it only does it when cold.

I have a red cherry bomb resonator, and a turbo cherry bomb as my exhaust on one of my mpv's. The cherry bomb turbo was a bit hard to fit in since I have the trailer hitch, but I got it to work just fine with some custom muffler hanging by myself. It sounds good and mean (roarrrrr) when I floor it on the highway with my window open to reach 110km/h, but it sounds a bit "puttsy puttsy puttsy" at idle.