Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2003 MPV PO431

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 PM

I considered that, but I've never had a miss-fire code. Do you think the EGR could be bad and not create any codes?

- marc

Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

Could be related to the EGR Valve like DPFE SEnsor: DPFE Sensor and EGR Information - Focus Hacks .

"There have been a bunch of us who have had symptoms of a DPFE sensor malfunction, yet no Check Engine Light. A few days later, the light MAY come on, but it's not guaranteed."
"I had it replaced 3 times all under warranty and it only threw a code one time."
"because from my experience, the original DPFE started showing symptoms as soon as 9,000 miles, but didn't actually throw a code till after 30,000."
FROM: More DPFE Sensor information (updated with photos) - Page 3

"The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor tends to fail. The DPFE sensor monitors function of the EGR valve by measuring pressure changes in the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. Symptoms of a failing DPFE sensor are hesitation or stumbling when driving along"

Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks UYN! Great suggestion. Does my 2005 MPV have the same engine as the Focus? I went looking for the DPFE based on the posting you mentioned, but I'm not finding one. I also don't find a DPFE part for sale for my year MPV. Is it possible that in the 2005 MPV the DPFE has been integrated into the EGR? In that case I would have to spend the $250 it costs for the EGR. Appreciate the help!

- marc

Old 07-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Not familiar with the MPV specifics. Phone the dealer. Ford and Mazda are very similar. We are really close to the Ford Fusion.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by mdewalle
My post about the P0431 is from more than 1 year ago, but since others are now having the same problem, I wanted to update. I went to the Mazda dealer and they replaced the catalytic converter at no cost to me. The guy explained that Mazda USA pays for it, so the dealer is happy to do the work. Just make sure you get there before you hit 80K or 8yrs.
Thanks to this thread I got my van to the dealer at 79,917 miles its a 2005 and they already ordered the catalytic converter.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM

I got an EGR and plan to have it installed this week. I checked it out and decided its too complicated to do it myself. Also, on my 2005MPV the EGR and DPFE are all one, so I didn't have the option of replacing just the cheaper DPFE. My mechanic buddy mostly works on Ford and tells me he has replaced many EGR's on Rangers (same V6).

Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 05MPV
Thanks to this thread I got my van to the dealer at 79,917 miles its a 2005 and they already ordered the catalytic converter.
05MPV, good for you! Funny how it seems many of these converters die shortly before 80K.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdewalle
I got an EGR and plan to have it installed this week. I checked it out and decided its too complicated to do it myself. Also, on my 2005MPV the EGR and DPFE are all one, so I didn't have the option of replacing just the cheaper DPFE. My mechanic buddy mostly works on Ford and tells me he has replaced many EGR's on Rangers (same V6).
Hope it works!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Well, we replaced the EGR and it seems to have made NO difference. I've only driven around town but I have already noticed it several times (hesitation at highway speed). We have a longer drive this weekend and I will know for sure, but it seems the search continues. Very frustrating.

Interestingly, it passed inspection. Somebody on here mentioned that with a messed up EGR you won't pass emissions inspection. Mine was tested right after the EGR was replaced and it passed fine. I'm running out of ideas on what else could be wrong. And still, I get NO codes.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

Did you unhook the negative terminal on the battery followed by a brake pedal application to relieve current from ECU (after changing EGR). Leave it unplugged for 10 minutes. Re-hook it up and let idle for 10 minutes. Now ECU starts re-learning process which could take up to 100 miles before you get excited.

Quick Reply: 2003 MPV PO431