Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2003 MPV PO431

Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by NightSwimmer
The federal government in the US mandates an 8 year / 80,000 mile warranty for catalytic converters.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Interesting link

Last edited by virgin1; 11-07-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Nice try. Link removed.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Sorry for your inconvienience. Sounds like you didn't handle the situation properly. You should have made Mazda fix the problem, even if your OBDII system didn't function properly. (which is possible, but not very likely)

Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 AM

How should I have handle it ? Within my working time, I spent alot of time on the phone with a Mazda dealer telling them about the situation that no codes came out and that catalytic converters were clogged cause the repairman at the other garage saw them with his own eyes. But Mazda dealer kept telling me that he needs the codes even if they are clogged. Mazda dealer told me that without the code, it's on my expense, so do you think I should have taken the risk and fight them after ? What I hated the most and what I'm more furious about is the fact that they need the stupid code like proof !! It's like if they told me "Too bad if the computer didn't do his job, even if it's not you, we think you clogged them by yourself so too bad"

Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 PM

Any system can fail, but it is more likely that the shop that you took your car to lied to you about the codes, or simply didn't have the required equipment to read the codes. The warranty would have applied even without diagnostic codes, had you taken your car to the dealer. It is not hard to diagnose failed catalytic converters without an OBDII system.

If you damaged your cats by running leaded fuel, then your warranty would be voided. You voided the warranty yourself when you allowed the shop to repair your vehicle rather than taking it to the dealer.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:03 PM

I just got a P0431 code on my 2005 MPV. Does a P0431 always mean a new catalytic converter is needed? The car just passed inspection a few weeks ago.

Fortunately, I only have 71K miles on it. So if it is the catalytic converter it should be under warranty. But I'm wondering if it could be something else.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Question

I have the same code on our 05 Mazda MPV it almost has 80K miles. Is the P0431 code a code for the catalytic converter problem? thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM

I got the same problem

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

A code P0431 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
  • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • There is an exhaust leak

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM

My post about the P0431 is from more than 1 year ago, but since others are now having the same problem, I wanted to update. I went to the Mazda dealer and they replaced the catalytic converter at no cost to me. The guy explained that Mazda USA pays for it, so the dealer is happy to do the work. Just make sure you get there before you hit 80K or 8yrs.

I was happy with that resolution, but overall I'm not thrilled with the car. I've had lots of P2187 and P2189 codes (all related to oxygen/vacuum, etc). I have replaced a number of potential culprits, but the codes keep coming back.

Lately I also get engine stutter at highway speed (engine needs to be hot and doing 1500-2000 rpm). Feels like a miss-fires, but no codes. I've had it in twice, but they can't isolate it.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdewalle
My post about the P0431 is from more than 1 year ago, but since others are now having the same problem, I wanted to update. I went to the Mazda dealer and they replaced the catalytic converter at no cost to me. The guy explained that Mazda USA pays for it, so the dealer is happy to do the work. Just make sure you get there before you hit 80K or 8yrs.

I was happy with that resolution, but overall I'm not thrilled with the car. I've had lots of P2187 and P2189 codes (all related to oxygen/vacuum, etc). I have replaced a number of potential culprits, but the codes keep coming back.

Lately I also get engine stutter at highway speed (engine needs to be hot and doing 1500-2000 rpm). Feels like a miss-fires, but no codes. I've had it in twice, but they can't isolate it.
Thanx for the updates. Have you ever looked in to EGR valve for your problems?.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 MPV PO431