Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   2000 Mpv hesitating when idling (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/2000-mpv-hesitating-when-idling-16810/)

delmad 12-16-2008 07:09 PM

2000 Mpv hesitating when idling

HELP!!!
My engine light is on - has been on for about 2 weeks (not really a new thing, it comes and goes-except this time its not going out).
Then it started sputtering or hesitating when I am stopped at a light - so in idle. It feels like it will stall - seems to be worse when the van is warmed up.Its minus 30 here right now and it seems to run better when I first start it up. A smell is coming from the exhaust too - maybe a gas smell(can you tell I'm not good at cars!!)
I have to spend $50 to $75 to get the code checked here. I am trading the vehicle in in the next couple of weeks - and of course, don't think I'll get much for it when this is going on.
Anyone have any ideas?
Does it sound bad? I don't want to spend to much on it since I'm getting rid of it.
Thanks for any help.

MJP68 12-16-2008 07:52 PM

RE: 2000 Mpv hesitating when idling

sounds like a misfire, without knowing your mileage its a guess no matter what.
2.5l mpv's had several things that would/could cause misfiring.
large vacuum leaks (pcv hose under throttle body)intake manifold gaskets usually run worse when cold then get better
after warmup.
my best guess would be to replace the spark plugs and plug wires (use oe parts)
the high idle during warmup will mask the misfire, making it less noticable.
that engine is also prone to carbon buildup in the intake as well as deposits in the injectors. (both usually contribute to cold start misfiring)

delmad 12-16-2008 09:33 PM

Oops sorry - its got 192,000 kms

delmad 12-16-2008 09:36 PM

Seems to run better when its cold though - does that make sense? The misfiring only gets bad once the car has been driving for awhile

MJP68 12-17-2008 12:12 AM

yes it does make sense. and thanks for the mileage. just based on your descriptions i would start by replacing the plugs and plug wires.
it would be very useful to have the dtc's pulled from the pcm, but i understand the expense makes it difficult.

delmad 12-17-2008 09:27 AM

Thanks so much for your help - we'll replace the plugs and wires and I'll let you know what happens - will the engine light just go off on its own once the problem is fixed or do we have to somehow reset it?

delmad 12-17-2008 12:02 PM

Oh -I forgot to mention that the van's brakes feel like they are failing - its like they lose power or something - the brakes are brand new(within the month) and worked fine - this only started when the hesitating started. Would they possibly be linked or would I have 2 seperate problems?

MJP68 12-17-2008 09:09 PM

are you sure you dont have any more details??
the power assist for the brake system is vacuum operated, a very large vacuum leak is a suspect. but a misfiring engine
does not produce as much vacuum as a properly running engine.
it may be best to take it in for an inspection and diag.
you could waste more money buying parts you dont need, than the diag charges.
its very possible you have several items causing all of your issues.

delmad 12-18-2008 12:03 AM

Thanks again - I guess we'll take it in and have it checked out - I think we'll just have to buy our new vehicle without using this for the trade, get this fixed and then sell it privately - I'm afraid to drive thiswith 4 young children when its soo cold out - I don't want to have it die on me and be stuck in -30 weather with a 5 month old.
Thanks so much for all your suggestions and help - I'll try to remember to post back when we find out whatturns out to bewrong with it - in case someone else has similiar problems.

MJP68 12-18-2008 01:35 AM

please do let us know.
here is my "predictions" leaky upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. collapsed and leaking pcv hose under throttle body.
spark plugs and wires.

id get a trade in quote anyways, and compare that to private owner's pricing for a similar vehicle. sometimes buyers on a private sale
are more picky than the dealer. JMO...
good luck!