Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   2.6L 4cyl MPV refuses acceleration!! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/2-6l-4cyl-mpv-refuses-acceleration-9486/)

mattwilliams 07-17-2007 07:28 PM

2.6L 4cyl MPV refuses acceleration!!

hello there,

My Mazda (220,000kms) refuses to accelerate or make power past 1/4 throttle. It starts, idles, shifts and drives perfectly, even under load, as long as I dont depress the acclerator past 1/4 throttle. It makes enough power to take it around town and will even hold 100km/h on the highway...unless I go past 1/4 throttle....when I do it immeadiately loses everything...almost like a govener! I found a used Mass Airflow Meter and replaced mine thinking it may have been the culprit...the van is definitely running smoother with the new MAF yet the problem remains. It will not accept anything past 1/4 throttle.

The "check engine" light comes on seconds after the motor is running and remains on, solid. Before I take it in to the mechanic and have the computer diagnosed, I was wondering if someone has more knowledge and recognizes this problem specifically.

(fuel filter replaced)

Thanks for your time,

Matt Williams

babyhuey 07-18-2007 05:36 PM

RE: 2.6L 4cyl MPV refuses acceleration!!

What year MPV do you have?? Sounds like a possible Throttle Position Sensor fault. The CEL may give you a better clue as to what exactly is the problem. Depending on year you should be able to retrieve the code yourself. Look in the left rear corner of the engine compartment and should see a box labeled DIAGNOSIS. Open up the cover and ground the pin labled TEN. Turn on the key and CEL should start flashing you a code. Long duration flashes are tens digit and short duration flashes are ones digit. One long flash followed by two short would be a code 12 for example. If 96 and later model then should be OBDII compatible and codes would need to be pulled with a scanner from under dash connector. Many parts stores offer a free code scan if OBDII.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/7DD7C51C35E544718D7B0222238CAAF0.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/9D93623CB6A14ECDB01D0A2F9D4C7681.gif[/IMG]

mattwilliams 07-20-2007 10:55 PM

Thanks very much for your reply.

I will attempt to read the error code as you described.

Thanks again;)

Matt

babyhuey 07-21-2007 01:00 AM

Looking to hear back from you Matt. :)If the CEL came on right around the 80k, or 160k mark then may just be the maintenance reminder light and will not give you a code output. CEL will just stay on and not flash for you if this is the case.

mattwilliams 07-24-2007 02:59 PM

The Mazda is a 1992...would the diagnosis box be in the same place? Hmmm...maybe I am not looking well enough but I cant seem to find it!

Matt

babyhuey 07-25-2007 07:39 PM

AHHH 1992. Van that old would not use the DIAGNOSIS box as described above. For that year you want to look for a single pin Green connector just to the outside of the air cleaner housing. The wire in the Green connector should be Brown with a Red stripe. Will not be plugged into anything but just hanging there. Ground this wire and turn key on to get the codes to output thru the flashing CEL.