Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda MPV (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/)
-   -   1995 MPV not starting... (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-mpv-17/1995-mpv-not-starting-3563/)

eshutes 06-05-2006 09:56 PM

1995 MPV not starting...

My MPV will not start. The battery seems to be fine and it is pretty new. The lights come on bright. When sitting in the vehicle and trying to start it, the engine light, air bag light, brake light, etc, come on as you start to turn the key. When you go to engage, the lights turn off and nothing. No sound, no engine starting, no ticking like a dead battery.

When the hood is opened and you try to start it, you can hear a single click right up in front of the driver.

Thanks

babyhuey 06-05-2006 10:38 PM

RE: 1995 MPV not starting...

Still sounds like a weak or discharged battery eshutes. Power demand with key on is very small but when trying to start engine, the starter draws a huge amount of power and everything goes out. Try this experiment. with key on and all of the dash light lit up, turn on the headlights and step on the brake pedal. If everything goes dead again then probably battery needs charged or replaced. If dash lights remain lit at same intensity then check for corroded or loose battery cable ends.

jjalilvand 06-06-2006 02:45 AM

Is your starter OK?

harley1350 06-15-2006 02:28 PM

had a similar problem with my 93 mpv. lights would be on, everything normal until i went to start it. it would all die. ended up getting new battery terminals as the terminals and wires were in bad shape at the battery. new terminals and a little bit of my time and now working like a champ for under $5.00

just my 2 cents

eshutes 06-21-2006 07:13 PM

Thank you all for the tips. Here is where I am:

This does not make much sense to me but I was able to jump it where it broke down and it started. I was able to drive it home, and I thought my troubles were over. I had the battery checked by a professional and he gave it a clean bill of health. We cleaned the posts on the battery and I got new terminal ends. This did not fix the problem, I am still at square one. I had a couple mechanic friends look at it and they think it is the starter. So I went and bought a starter and am trying to replace it but I can't find it anywhere! If someone has a diagram to point me in the correct direction, I'd appreciate it.

We did find out that when we try and start it, the click we hear coming from in front of the drivers seat seems to be the antilock relay? It is in a box that has the labels on the outside.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for all your responses!

thefenz 10-24-2006 10:37 AM

If the Van wont start and dies every so often for no reason and the battery is OK, then you have to change the distributor.

btw - changing a starter is a big job[sm=smiley6.gif].

87626gt 11-20-2006 02:43 AM

It doesn't sound like a starter to me, it sounds like the battery is weak. or, loose wires/bad connection that is why the jump helped it start, if it was the starter, the jump wouldn't help. recheck the battery and wires and everything.
btw. if you are still interested in replacing the starter, it's on the transmission and engine bel-housing, where the 2 come together. probably on the top part of the transmission.