Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Millenia (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-millenia-19/)
-   -   Type of Gas used for 2.5L millenia?? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-millenia-19/type-gas-used-2-5l-millenia-2112/)

lil032002 02-06-2006 11:54 AM

Type of Gas used for 2.5L millenia??

Can anyone give me advice on what kind of gas I should be using the 2.5L V6 engine? I have been feeling vibrating and yanking while the car is idle for like over 1 min under the drivers side. This also occurs at times when the car is in motion but not as much as idle. Their telling it due to the type of fuel I use (93) but the gas door say "recommended premium." They say using this the premium causes carbon deposits to build up. I dont know can anyone shed some light into this.

michael91077 02-06-2006 03:22 PM

RE: Type of Gas used for 2.5L millenia??

Normally you would want to go with the fuel that the manufacturer recommends. The lower octane can leave carbon deposits and people will run the higher octane thru just to clean the system. I would try using some sort of additive that you can buy at AutoZone or something like that. Something that is supposed to clean the fuel delivry system. See if that helps

sstlaure 02-06-2006 05:00 PM

Premium is 93 Octane. If you are using 93 and you are still experiencing the rough idle, you may need new spark plugs (any idea how old they are?)

lil032002 02-06-2006 07:31 PM

I just got them replaced in summer 2004.

sstlaure 02-07-2006 10:14 AM

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? They can clog over time.

lil032002 02-07-2006 06:19 PM

I dont think so. Can one do this on their own? Where is it located? Do you think this will help out with the yanking/vibrating feeling?

sstlaure 02-07-2006 06:33 PM

If the fuel filter is clogged, it will starve the engine of fuel, causing low fuel pressure and poor performance (rough idle, misfire, etc.)

I would try to find a repair manual for your car (Chilton's, Haynes, etc.) they should have some detail on where the fuel filter is located. It's a fairly straightforward swap, but it does require a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter (at least it did on all of the cars I've done this on.) I try to change out the filter every 50,000 miles or so to make sure it doesn't become a problem.

You should be able to get the filter at just about any auto parts store, then take the parts to a reputable mechanic to install if you're unsure/uncomfortable with the repair. (should take no more than 1 hour for full replacement in case you are getting quotes)

lil032002 02-07-2006 06:55 PM

yeah i got the car at 87500 miles and now has a little over 114000 miles but then again I dont know what services the previous owner did. By this I mean she probably hadn't changed it yet. i keep taking it in because of the check the engine light and I keep getting codes for misfires. probable cause, right?
What if I take it to a repair shop other than mazda dealer. I will have to call and find out if they have the tool. What should I ask for when doing this cause i dont want to end up getting bad service. You know what i mean. Thank you for your help.

sstlaure 02-08-2006 10:22 AM

Any repair shop will have this tool. It's a small hand tool. Most fuel line connections (factory one's anyway) consist of 2 tubes that slide into one another with an internal clip between them. The tool simply slips between the 2 tubes and pushes on the clip. I attached a picture for reference

Another possibility is that you have water in your gas tank. (This happens from time to time with weather changes...sometimes gas stations don't properly care for their tanks and water gets in as well.) You should put in a bottle of drygas (essentially ethyl alcohol) into the tank and run that sucker as low as you can go. Then refill with all new fresh gas and another dose of drygas. This will take the water out of the gas. I've had this happen on a couple of cars that I've owned (both new) I'd try that first before anything else. Any gas station will have fuel line treatment (sometimes called anti-freeze treatment for fuel.) Just make sure it states that it removes water from the tank (you don't want fuel injector cleaner.)

How long has your car been doing this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2513/DC49BE1B4A41480E8E4F2E78F28AA990.jpg[/IMG]

keninn 02-08-2006 11:36 AM

the fuel filter is in the back of the car, right above the fuel tank. it is accessible thru the trunk, pull back the carpet, you will see a round metal "door", up near the opening in the middle of the seatback. the filter is held on to the top of the fuel tank with a bracket, and the inlet/outlet lines are held on with just spring clips, you can remove them with normal pliers, but there aint a lot of room back there. i go in thru the door for the skis, i sit in the back seat, open the ski door, and work from there. some people remove the back seat. the book says to pull the fuel pump relay(on an s, it lives in the engine bay, left side, near the cruise actuator, dunno about the L), then start the car, and let it run till it dies. this is to release the pressure in the lines. i never do, because you will get fuel spilling out no matter what. just be prepared, and dont smoke. be prepared to change out some of the flexible lines, especially if the car has a lot of miles on it. watch out for cheap aftermarket buttco filters, do NOT assume quality is the same therefore go for price. cut open a genuine, then cut open a buttco, and compare. since this is not a fun job, and is very messy, i like to use the best brand so i dont have to do it again. genuine works for me.

JE48-13-480 list price 33.25, albany mazda price 26.00+shipping albany mazda:http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214284