Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Cranks but won't start

Old 04-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Default Cranks but won't start

My wife's Millenia cranks but won't start. Just turns over but gives no sign of firing. I took it to a repair shop and they said it's getting fuel so they wanted to do a "tune up" for $1,000. They didn't even verify if it was getting spark. They assumed since it is getting fuel that it must be spark and to replace everything.
Another thing that may be a symptom is that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly while the car sits.
Any thoughts? I would like to try and sort it out myself rather than throwing money at a shop while they just take stabs at it.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by joenspa
My wife's Millenia cranks but won't start. Just turns over but gives no sign of firing. I took it to a repair shop and they said it's getting fuel so they wanted to do a "tune up" for $1,000. They didn't even verify if it was getting spark. They assumed since it is getting fuel that it must be spark and to replace everything.
Another thing that may be a symptom is that the battery seems to drain pretty quickly while the car sits.
Any thoughts? I would like to try and sort it out myself rather than throwing money at a shop while they just take stabs at it.
Millenia L oder S?

If it´s an 2.5, change your distributor. :-)

Mine failed two times in the last years on two cars.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM

I believe it is an L model. It has a 2.5L V6. I tried the distributor cap and rotor with no luck. Coil? I have also seen a good bit online about crankshaft position indicator. I am open to try about anything.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:20 AM

I believe it is an L model. It has a 2.5L V6. I tried the distributor cap and rotor with no luck. Coil? I have also seen a good bit online about crankshaft position indicator. I am open to try about anything.
The coil is inside the distributor - Cap and rotor is not enough.
Of course it could be the crankshaft position sensor.

https://www.justanswer.com/mazda/6mopn-ra-203.html

Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 PM

I've caught onto that now. I see it and have confirmed I know what I am looking at with pictures from parts stores. I found a webpage that gave me specs for it and it said I was suppose to be measuring 0.49-0.73 ohms. I am getting over 1 ohm. It was 1.6 or something over that. So I may have a bad coil. HOWEVER the worst part is I broke the 3 pin connector taking it off to do the measurements. No I have to locate that and figure out how to get this coil out. I am stumped on that too. Nothing on YouTube to help that I can find. I've had better days.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM

You can get the coil @ autozone.
https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...971248_0_17367

Have you seen my link?
Just take out the distributor, remove cap and finger, then the coil.
I´ve never changed the coil itself, but the whole distributor.

Lg, mekz.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 AM

I ended up getting a coil, along with plugs and wires, from Rock Auto. it's on the way. However I cannot get the coil to budge. Cap and rotor are off but the coil is in solid.
I did look at that link but it seems like the question never really got answered on removing the coil. I am hoping getting the new coil and seeing outside the car will give me some clues.
If I replace the whole distributor then I will need to reset the timing won't I?

Old 04-25-2018, 03:01 AM

I ended up getting a coil, along with plugs and wires, from Rock Auto. it's on the way. However I cannot get the coil to budge. Cap and rotor are off but the coil is in solid.
I did look at that link but it seems like the question never really got answered on removing the coil. I am hoping getting the new coil and seeing outside the car will give me some clues.
If I replace the whole distributor then I will need to reset the timing won't I?

Have you seen this thread?

https://mazda626.net/topic/16070-hei...ninstallation/

As i wrote, i´ve never done it myself :-/

The link shows you, how to repair the distributor with an hei module.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by mekz
Have you seen this thread?

https://mazda626.net/topic/16070-hei...ninstallation/

As i wrote, i´ve never done it myself :-/

The link shows you, how to repair the distributor with an hei module.
That one I haven't seen. That's great. I know what I am doing on Saturday now. Thanks!