Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Need advice on Synthetic for 01

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 AM
t2t

Originally Posted by virgin1
And the 04 Mazda3 owners manual also states that synthetic is not recommended by Mazda, yet I know hundreds that do w/o a problem.
I guess that's sort of like Ford not recommending the higher-life coolants for their late 90s, early 2000 models. Instead, they prefer you utilize Prestone-like coolant instead of the red/orange coolants.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM
t2t

Originally Posted by virgin1
A flame war? On MazdaForum? That's almost unheard of.
t2t, all I can tell you about Ken is that he is very helpful around here. He is one of the few that knows the Millenia models and usually jumps right on those questions.
I hear you. And, yes, I'm aware of Ken's knowledge on these forums. However, when one gets hit with a big stick right at the starting gate, it can come across as a bit shocking. I'd rather make friends than enemies. I guess I make more friends because I don't hit them with a stick as soon as I meet them.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 PM

here's a post from the other group where i get beaten with a stick:

Yesterday I decided to change over to Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage thanks to some posts I read on the forums that said it was a myth that changing over from dino oil will cause seal problems.(Ken, your info in these threads was very helpful as usual...THANKS!) I started it up to move it from the garage so I could clean it up and didn't notice anything different. An hour or so later as I was driving out of my neighborhood I noticed that the check engine light was off. I figured it would come back on again in no time since its been on so long, but I've driven 50 miles or so since then and its still off.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

t2t, All I can say is that I have never seen Ken get upset about things. The posts that I have followed always seem to get to the point and are helpful to others and informative to me too, even though I haven't/don't own a Millenia. You must have touched a nerve somewhere.
Do you guys know each other from somewhere?

Ken, I think something is missing from your example... the context is not clear since the rest of the posts/thread are not included.
I can guess that whomever wrote this had a CEL and changing over to synthetic oil reversed the code? At least that what I'm getting from it.

Can you clarify what was going on that brought on this post in the first place?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:33 PM

i was just quoting someone from the other group who apparently didnt get bashed by me. or, if he did, he was happy about it. and they are also switching to synthetic. my answers are based on personal experience, we have 2 99 2.3's, and i have done a lot of work on them. right after our black car went out of warranty, we got the ce lite, and the 0170/73 codes. got them scanned, at the zone, and they said most likely the mas. i couldnt believe that. so, not knowing any better, i took it to the dealer. they changed ONE plastic tee in the vacuum system, parts was like 3 bucks, and labor was like 500. never again, i said to myself. i am not new around cars, but the millenia was a challenge.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM

$500.00 ??? sure ur exaggerating but the point is very clear ... I think I'm the best mechanic 4 my car.. I wash every thing, make sure all is thigh & secure b4 assembling and so forth... shops r always in a hurry to get ur car out & charge u as if they were the master tech from factory.. with the help of this site my car gonna came out with new knock senor, no leaks, new timing belt & tensioner, new water pump, new upper & lower radiator hoses, new rear brakes !! .. for less than 950.00 !! thanks 4 ur contributions kennin !!...

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
t2t

Originally Posted by wilfredom
$500.00 ??? sure ur exaggerating but the point is very clear ... I think I'm the best mechanic 4 my car.. I wash every thing, make sure all is thigh & secure b4 assembling and so forth... shops r always in a hurry to get ur car out & charge u as if they were the master tech from factory.. with the help of this site my car gonna came out with new knock senor, no leaks, new timing belt & tensioner, new water pump, new upper & lower radiator hoses, new rear brakes !! .. for less than 950.00 !! thanks 4 ur contributions kennin !!...
It's probably quite a realistic amount ($500.00). I'm not sure what the current labor rate per hour is for my local Mazda dealership shop, but last time I was in there - 5+ years ago, it was $86.00.

There's a local shop near me (not affiliated with any dealer) that has labor rates of $112.00 per hour.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Default millenia labor

i think what kenin was trying to say is the miiler cycle isnt an easy/cheap motor to work on.first time i changed the plugs it took 8 hours.the main reason is i was so intimidated by all the crap in the way that i did it with MINIMAL dissassembly in that back bank,changed them a month ago and was about a 3 hour job because im more familiar with it.and yes 500 is VERY believable unless you go somewhere besides mazda.if you do,a 250$ job could turn into a 2000$ job(after they screw it up by putting wrong parts on) very easy because no one but mazda knows what theyre doing on that car.mine is a 1996 millenia S, so with it being 15 years old (175,000m)and MAYBE worth 3000$, its alot of fun tinkering with it,i love the look on peoples face when i take the engine cover off they dont believe thos are ALL vacume hoses,they think some are plug wires....its an awsome car but you can very easily spend more on it than its worth.ive been working on cars since i was old enough to reach the brake pedal (pump it up!.......okay to the floor and hold it!) how many of you are having a childhood flashback? so yes this car has been a challenge,if anything major happens to my millenia ill search high and low for another with less miles