Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Speedometer and other Gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Default Speedometer and other Gauges not working

hi I got a 2003 Miata that has only 10800 miles on it. I just got it like two days ago...and the car is certified but something strange is happening....and it only happens in the morning too, ....when i start my car, the speedometer, the rpm meter, fuel gauge and the other gauges along with the digital display for mileage does not work.....i cant tell what mileage im going at or how much fuel i have...but then it works after driving it for a bit....it has not done this in the evening either....when it has not worked, the gauges will on some occasions, flicker...and then not work...but it will start working on its own as if there was nothing wrong...

any suggestions what the problem might be or how to fix it? I took it to the dealer but they said everything works fine and it wasnt giving a problem when they checked it...

do you think i should have the dealer replace the wiring or the gauges since it is still under warranty???

thanks.....

Old 10-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Speedometer and other Gauges not working

Best thing that you can do is take it to the dealer one evening and leave overnight so they will be able to see what it is doing, when it is doing it. They will not replace the harness or the gauges without being able to duplicate the problem first. You should be able to get a rental car for the evening and next day at no charge to you without any problems as it is an 03 model.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Default RE: Speedometer and other Gauges not working

hi , i left the car overnight at the dealer and they started the car the next morning and were able to pin point the problem. The car had a bad circuit board plate....and it was replaced and was covered under warranty. It would have cost 300 dollars if it wasnt. Thanks for your help.