Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Miata (MX-5) (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-miata-mx-5-21/)
-   -   NA Main Fuse block, 80 amp replacement (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-miata-mx-5-21/na-main-fuse-block-80-amp-replacement-40027/)

mnooch 06-04-2018 09:52 AM

NA Main Fuse block, 80 amp replacement

Hello all. I'm having a problem replacing the 80 amp fuse in the engine bay's main fuse block.

I removed it with no issues...took off the block's mounting screws to gain easier access to those nasty little screws on each side of the block. Interestingly, when I put the new fuse in and attempted to torque the screw on the right side of the block (the side face the front right fender) the screw wouldn't catch on to any threads. Conversely, the screw on the opposite side had no issues. The only difference I can see is that there is a small threaded metal plate between the electrical lead and the plastic block on the engine side but no corresponding metal plate on the opposite side (face the fender). This seemed odd as it was originally torqued down pretty tightly. It's hard to conceive that the configuration wouldn't be the same on both sides of the fuse block but I swear that when I originally pulled the screw out there was no metal plate...you just can't miss that sort of thing.

So, enough of my long winded explanation. I'm convinced now that the screw was probably glued in place though that seems pretty weird on its face. I think all I need is that small metal plate to insert between the lead and the plastic of the fuse block though I'm having a hard time finding this piece. This is terribly frustrating. Any suggestions from the assembled masses? Thanks very much!

Marc

Dougal McGuire 08-27-2018 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mnooch (Post 168120)
Hello all. I'm having a problem replacing the 80 amp fuse in the engine bay's main fuse block.

I removed it with no issues...took off the block's mounting screws to gain easier access to those nasty little screws on each side of the block. Interestingly, when I put the new fuse in and attempted to torque the screw on the right side of the block (the side face the front right fender) the screw wouldn't catch on to any threads. Conversely, the screw on the opposite side had no issues. The only difference I can see is that there is a small threaded metal plate between the electrical lead and the plastic block on the engine side but no corresponding metal plate on the opposite side (face the fender). This seemed odd as it was originally torqued down pretty tightly. It's hard to conceive that the configuration wouldn't be the same on both sides of the fuse block but I swear that when I originally pulled the screw out there was no metal plate...you just can't miss that sort of thing.

So, enough of my long winded explanation. I'm convinced now that the screw was probably glued in place though that seems pretty weird on its face. I think all I need is that small metal plate to insert between the lead and the plastic of the fuse block though I'm having a hard time finding this piece. This is terribly frustrating. Any suggestions from the assembled masses? Thanks very much!

Marc

I think you’re in the wrong place if you’re expecting the “assembled masses” to help :)
I’m not near my car at the moment so I’m having a hard time visualizing what you’re describing. Providing a photo of the area in question would help, and would also probably encourage others to reply as well.