Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

MX-5 retractable hardtop ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Question MX-5 retractable hardtop ticking noise

7 years old, 29K miles: There is an annoying, irregular "tick, tick, tick" from the front of the hardtop when driving over any but the smoothest roads. Stuffing a piece of paper towel in the corner sockets that receive the tabs on the top reduces the incidence. It has gotten much more annoying, lately. I haven't been able to find how to adjust the top latch, even after sending $25 to Chilton -- whose manual doesn't even mention the retractable hard top. I'm considering "lubricating" (silicon spray) the area where the top meets the top of the windshield, as the noise resembles plastic-to-plastic slipping intermittently. I don't even know if "adjustment" is the issue.

Any suggestions? Others' experience?

Roger Bohl

Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Default Adjusting 2009 Retractable Hard Top Closure

Adjusting Hardtop Closure on 2009 Mazda Miata Retractable Hardtop

General: Unlike earlier models, the closure is adjusted at the central latch.

To adjust the tightness of the closure:

Special tool needed: External circlip removal tool with tiny bits. (A towel spread across the seats and console may avoid loss of dropped parts.)

1 Release the center latch. The following items are visible
o Plastic hook cover (covers bottom ends of the two hooks)
o Screw (one of 2) securing hook cover to hooks (one on each side)
o Spring
o Pin, to the end of which the spring is attached
o Circlip where the pin exits the hook assembly.
o Not clearly visible is the adjustment lug which lies between the two hooks, on a threaded shaft.

2. Unscrew and remove the two #3 Phillips head machine screws on either side of the latch.

3. Note the pin running laterally though the two hooks

4. Disconnect the spring from the pin. (Removing it from the upper lug may keep it out of the way while
you are adjusting the adjustment lug. lt can be re-hooked to the upper lug with some careful attention.)

5. Using the circlip tool, spread the circlip and slide it onto the outer portion of the pin. This is the hardest part of the whole job. Release the tool and slide the circlip the rest of the way off, being careful not to lose it.

6. Remove the two screws, being careful not to lose them. If you do, they are 7mm x 3mm screws.

7. Slide the pin out

8. Slide the hook cover from the hooks, noting how it must be rotated up to do so.

9. The adjustment lug can now be rotated on its long axis. Use one half turn at a time, testing the fit each time.

10. When satisfied with the fit, reassemble the latch as follows:

11. Slide the plastic hook cover over the ends of the hooks.

12. Reinsert the pin through the cover-hook-adjustment lug-hook-cover assembly.

13. Secure the hook cover to the hooks with the screws you removed earlier

14. Test for proper adjustment.

15. Using the circlip tool, spread the circlip enough to slide it onto the pin; then slide it across the pin to reposition it to the groove in the pin.

16. Attach the hooked end of the spring in the upper part of the hard top; use a flashlight to note the configuration of the upper lug. Be conscious of how the spring is secured to the lug so that attaching the bottom end to the pin does not cause the upper end to slide off the lug.

17. Secure the spring to the groove at the end of the pin.

18. Secure the hook cover to the hooks with the two screws removed in Step 6. (If you lose the circlip, it may be available from a Mazda dealer, or some twisted fine wire may be substituted.)

Roger Bohl
rhbohl@gmail.com

Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 PM

I saw a tip on another site and smeared a little bit of silicone grease on the pins that align it with the windshield on my 2010 PRHT GT, and that took care of it.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM

I use Super Lube PTFE synthetic grease on the pins and the main gear by the motor. This grease same as the Dupont Krytox expensive grease except much cheaper..... You can also use
it on the door latch mechanism... ….

Last edited by trent2t; 08-29-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:23 PM

This is an old thread but I'm so glad I stumbled upon it. I thought it might be me forgetting to do something correctly when putting the hard top up, but now I see it is a problem for others.If I can figure out how and where to apply a bit of grease I may give this a try. I just purchased this 2008 MX-5 and the noise comes from the passenger side of the top. Glad I did not screw something up and this is a known problem. Thanks everyone for your input. Appreciate it.