Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Miata's new color and the soft top

Old 12-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Default Miata's new color and the soft top

Have you seen that Mazda is introducing in North America a new color and a soft top.

"Mazda is using the term dark Cherry to describe the new Miata top color. Its manufacturer, Haartz Corp., calls the color “claret” after the deep purple-red color of that vintage wine. Either name is fine with us. We think it looks gorgeous. Like all Miata soft-tops, Haartz' durable and attractive Stayfast C remains the top's material," reports Torque News. Do you like it?

Attached Thumbnails Miata's new color and the soft top-mx-5_miata_sport_uk_0.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 05:14 PM

The new soft top color appears to me to be an attempt to add something to for the new model year without incurring much cost on Mazda's part. I am shocked every year that rolls around without adding the back-up camera. This would be another no cost upgrade for Mazda since they already have everything they need already there except the camera itself.

Before I got my 2015 Mazda3, I never thought I would have a use for a back-up camera. Now I won't live without it. I will likely buy a Miata as a second car as soon as a camera is available.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:11 PM

I agree. The car has so many high-tech features, but not the camera. I would appreciate this in the convertible, as the rear window creates blind spots.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:25 AM

OMG, It only takes 2 seconds to drop the top and about 3 seconds to pull it up and latch it on an NC!
I really can't believe you wouldn't buy such a small little fun car because you think you can't see behind it!
I guess it's your lost.

AZ

Old 04-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Sun Lover
OMG, It only takes 2 seconds to drop the top and about 3 seconds to pull it up and latch it on an NC!
I really can't believe you wouldn't buy such a small little fun car because you think you can't see behind it!
I guess it's your lost.

I agree that a backup camera is a small factor. It was nonetheless, a deciding factor. The $30,000 purchase price, the lack of headroom, the poor visibility with the top up, storage space and even the location of the cup holders contrasted against the great driving experience of the Miata. I decided to hold off on purchasing a Miata. I suspect that if any of the shortcomings are addressed, I will buy a Miata in the future. The lack of a backup camera is the easiest for Mazda to address and is something that they should have addressed with the 2016 redesign.

By the way when looking at the Miata, I factored in the $500.00 cost of having a camera installed, however, I wouldn't want the interior taken apart on a new car to the extent that would be necessary to have a camera installed after-the-fact.

I would also say that the speed of lowering and raising the top are small factors in the decision to buy a Mazda.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:41 PM

It's a Miata for Pete sake! Simple and pure is the best thing about a Miata. Truthfully all that modern day convinced crap should go away! Our 08 has auto down window switches and I can't stand them. If you're to lazy to hold the switch down for three seconds then....Please don't tell me you need an automatic too.

I flew up from the valley of the sun into the cascade mountains to buy our 08. The car just hit 4700 miles as I pulled it into our garage cover with bugs from the drive back. Oh, the top was down the whole trip and the price was a bit steep at $13.5 but not bad for a fully loaded GT with a stick. The first owner purchased it "Because it was so cute", she rarely drove it. Truthfully I think she like her BMW M5 better. She had two batteries installed and a oil charge each year per her info to me and the Car Fax confirmed that. She was definitely the mother type because I sent her a check for a deposit in January but she wouldn't let me have the car "until the snow was melting". The real funny part was I'm older then her plus the hug and kiss were sweet. You can makeup stuff like this!

AZ

Last edited by AZ Sun Lover; 04-18-2018 at 12:44 PM.