Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

As Fun to Drive as It Looks? (I'm guessing yes..)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Default As Fun to Drive as It Looks? (I'm guessing yes..)

I recently started attending my local Cars & Coffee, and a couple of the guys have Mazda Miata's that they've stripped down and taken to some of our local tracks for track days.

I've never owned a Miata, but have always been tempted by its looks and the fact that they look so damn fun to drive... true? I'm guessing yes!

I found this long-term review on CAR Mag, and it said the MX-5 is "designed to be thrashed" - I found that quite funny, and I bet (again) - true!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM

In the early 70's I had a 67 Lotus Elan, the inspiration and near blueprint for the Miata. I've missed that car since I've sold it. They're crazy expensive now, so I looked to the Miata, and found a 90 in pristine condition a couple months ago.

It isn't as spirited as the Lotus, but every bit as satisfying for top down cruising. It's heavier than the Lotus so not as nimble or agile, but does a good job, good enough for this old guy. I don't need to prove anything to anyone so don't need to race, I'm out for sheer joy whether that's laid back cruising or ripping through the S's around the local lakes and rivers. It puts a smile on my face and in my heart. Just what I wanted, and need as it turns out.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:05 AM

The Miata is a great car, it handles beautifully and is really fun to drive. I've owned higher performance cars including Corvettes, and will always enjoy driving them. The Miata actually feels more solid than most, and is built to a higher quality standard. Best of all: you can have a lot of fun driving it, without insane speeds. You won't win at the drag strip, but everyone there will want to borrow your car. Put the top down and enjoy.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Flycaster7
The Miata is a great car, it handles beautifully and is really fun to drive. I've owned higher performance cars including Corvettes, and will always enjoy driving them. The Miata actually feels more solid than most, and is built to a higher quality standard. Best of all: you can have a lot of fun driving it, without insane speeds. You won't win at the drag strip, but everyone there will want to borrow your car. Put the top down and enjoy.
I agree with all of the above. Like an MG that handles better and starts every morning.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 AM

Hi my name is Lauren, I am a new member. Did anyone who has owned the MX5 have any troubles with the roof leaking or not closing?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:10 AM

No leaks. But I avoid driving the Miata in hard rain and wet weather, using a second car instead, so I might not press the issue as hard as others. I find the mechanical operation of the soft top to be very well engineered. No problems- in fact, it's better than other soft toppers I've owned in the past. Be aware that all soft tops allow more highway noise into the cockpit than hard tops do.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by laurendharma
Hi my name is Lauren, I am a new member. Did anyone who has owned the MX5 have any troubles with the roof leaking or not closing?
Which of the four generations of the MX-5 are you referring to? Our 1990 Miata leaked even with a new roof, albeit only when driving in a downpour; our 1996 was a bit better but still not bone dry when the wind and rain kick up.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Which of the four generations of the MX-5 are you referring to? Our 1990 Miata leaked even with a new roof, albeit only when driving in a downpour; our 1996 was a bit better but still not bone dry when the wind and rain kick up.
Newbie to this web site but was a member of Miata dot net for years‼️
We owe two NC1's or an 07 & 08 MX-5's.
No issues with water getting in whatsoever. But do not park under trees as the leaves fall off they will plug the drain holes. Drain holes are easy to clean but in the front of the car at the bottom of the windshield are vents for the AC system. This system can get plugged and it's not an easy fix.
The only issue with the later Miata's is the susp. system. It's a little to soft.
with the NC 2006-2015 all one needs to do is change the OEM shocks to Koni's sports/yellows and install a set of RX-8 OEM swaybar's. Most, self included just install the RX-8 base/red dot front swaybar and a sport/yellow dot rear swaybar. They are plug and play because the MX-5 NC / 3rd gen. Is a downsized RX-8.

AZ

Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 PM

its a 2009. i am selling one, and i am writing up the ad and i want to be honest about the car.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by laurendharma
its a 2009. i am selling one, and i am writing up the ad and i want to be honest about the car.
Does it still look like it did when new?
Loaded GT Copper Red over Tan, Soft Top, Auto.
Any issues with the top or any other issues, miles and how much?

AZ

Last edited by AZ Sun Lover; 04-18-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: As Fun to Drive as It Looks? (I'm guessing yes..)