Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Miata: worth it or not? Tell me EVERYTHING

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:31 PM
Default Miata: worth it or not? Tell me EVERYTHING

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, Im selling my mustang sn95 snd its been nothing but problems since the day I bought it and its time to get rid of it. Thanks to my schools financial aid, im able to save up to get a new car and have extra money from selling the sn95 for parts and such. After hours of research I heard a lot of good stuff about the miata and heard its a fun car to work on and drive. For all of you miata owners, tell me EVERYTHING such as how reliable it is, the pros and cons, best and worst experiences, etc. Im really towards getting a miata this August!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:09 AM

What type of Miata are you looking to buy? A new ‘18 or ‘19 car, or an older car?
I won’t tell you EVERYTHING about my car (since that would take a very, very long time), but there are good reasons why it has the reputation it has. Lots of fun, easy to work on, and relatively cheap.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 PM

Disclaimer, I do not own a Miata, but I do know Mazdas and Miatas fairly well.

The qualifiers to consider before seriously considering a Miata:
1. Do you fit in it? (my head is too close to the roof for daily use, however, I will still likely buy one in the next year or so.)
2. Can you live without cargo or much people space? The Mustang will seam like a minivan in comparison.
3. Can you live with rear wheel drive and low ground clearance? (Probably since you are coming from a Mustang.)

Mazdas are extremely reliable and incredibly fun to drive. Every time I drive a Miata of any generation, I feel like I have been driving it all my life. Everything is perfectly laid out. The car is perfectly balanced. It is the perfect car to enjoy the back winding roads. It will not be as fast in a straight line as your Mustang but can beet it in every other way.

If you are looking at a new Miata, the discounts on the 2018s are incredible, a local dealer is selling new 2018 Club Manuals for a little over $22,000. When I saw that, I assumed it was used and damaged. It was not. New with no mileage.

The 2018s are so cheap now since the 2019s are going to have more power, a higher red-line, a back-up camera, slightly better cup holders (perhaps too much information).

I am not sure the extra $7,000 for a 2019 is worth the extra money on your tight budget. The extra power is at the high end and does not appear to be a huge impact to driving on the real roads.

The earlier generations of Miatas are great as well (if you fit in them) and should be reliable, economical and fun transportation.

The down side is that people who don't know what it is like to drive a Miata will never understand why you bought a Miata.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.