Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Help me justify a miata

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:18 AM

We have a new Miata, but I could not live with it as our only vehicle. We travel a lot and need space for the suitcases. Plus, there are just too many times we go shopping for things that just won't fit in the Miata. It's a good grocery getter, but not much more than that. So, our primary car is a CX-5, and the MX-5 is our toy.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Am currently thinking about getting one, but it would be in addition to our Mazda3, new September of 2016.

If it was my only car, I'd get a hitch receiver put on it (several online) and buy one of those platforms to slide into the receiver for when you need to get fuel in containers or big stuff. I was thinking of this plus a trailer to possibly replace our old Tacoma. However, we'll likely keep the old Tacoma for when we need to haul big stuff and fuel containers.

Gotta get the Jetta TDI out of the garage first. Any day now. Got the buyback letter but no schedule yet to take to the dealer.

Ralph

Old 02-04-2017, 07:45 PM

IMHO, the Miata is a below average snow car, unless the snow is less than 3 inches or so, or unless you want to spring for 4 actual snow tires. Even with snow boots, snow deeper than 4" can be a challenge. If you plan to travel in the northeast, better rule out winter driving altogether. Otherwise, it's a blast to drive, and great eye candy. How much do I believe this? I just bought a soul red 2017 MX-5 RF. (Bought my first Miata in 1993).
- a dedicated Miata fan

Old 02-04-2017, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by leaddude
IMHO, the Miata is a below average snow car, unless the snow is less than 3 inches or so, or unless you want to spring for 4 actual snow tires. Even with snow boots, snow deeper than 4" can be a challenge. If you plan to travel in the northeast, better rule out winter driving altogether. Otherwise, it's a blast to drive, and great eye candy. How much do I believe this? I just bought a soul red 2017 MX-5 RF. (Bought my first Miata in 1993).
- a dedicated Miata fan
Hmmm, I live in New Hampshire and have driven our two NA Miatas in lots of snow shod only with All-Season tires; never had any issues even with four inches on the ground. Are there better snow cars? Yup, however, our Miatas never let us down.

Last edited by shipo; 02-05-2017 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-04-2017, 11:19 PM

Life is too short. If you have the money then buy it. I personally don't like the class of vehicle, I prefer CUVs and motorcycles. Have fun in your life before you are too old to enjoy it. Look back on fond memories instead of regrets.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hankscorpio
It's just me and my dog right now. Issues I'm seeing: Costco and Home Depot runs... Road trips to see my parents and brother (CT to NJ). Dog and luggage would be a super tight fit. Also dog is normally a back seat rider not sure how passenger seat would work out.
Back in the 60's on a trip through Yellowstone and Rockies, I ran into a woman traveling solo with her Siberian Husky in her '68 Fiat 124 sport. She'd put a luggage rack on the trunk for her camping gear, and removed the passenger seat for the dog. Wish I'd kept in touch.... but the point is it can be made to work for you. Get waterproof duffle like bags for luggage. The passenger bay is huge for your purchases and with the seat gone even 8' lumber will fit with the top down.

Save the bug for dating.

I'm looking for a luggage rack, and may get another dog after retirement. The open road does have its hooks in me and my '90 NA says she's ready when I am.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hankscorpio
Really over 100 views and nobody can say something like "miatas aren't that bad as daily drivers" or "you really need a 2nd car with a Miata"
Yeah, this is a disappointingly lame forum.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nickndfl
Life is too short. If you have the money then buy it. I personally don't like the class of vehicle, I prefer CUVs and motorcycles. Have fun in your life before you are too old to enjoy it. Look back on fond memories instead of regrets.
I have a motorcycle, 4X4 F-150, AWD Honda CRV and most recently a 2006 Miata. I couldn't have the Miata as an only vehicle because my rifles and shotguns won't fit in the trunk. I bought the Miata to ride my steep crooked mountain roads when the weather is not good for riding a bike.

I had a friend that was being ribbed because he had bought a new car he didn't need. Someone asked him why he bought it and his answer was perfect. He said the bought it because he wanted it. That's why I buy almost everything I get.

Last edited by osbornk; 10-08-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MnMiata
Yeah, this is a disappointingly lame forum.
This forum is what we make it. Mazda’s are so reliable that the enthusiastic owners are out driving and not searching for workarounds for inherent defects that many other makes with enthusiastic followers have.

I wish there was a stronger base of forum members representing shops specializing in modifying, parts suppliers, dealers, and manufacturer representatives. Expert advice is lacking without more experts.

We should all reapond when we have something to add. The forum is what we make it. Let’s make it a welcoming place for others who enjoy driving as much as we do.