Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Miata (MX-5) (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-miata-mx-5-21/)
-   -   Help me justify a miata (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-miata-mx-5-21/help-me-justify-miata-36268/)

Hankscorpio 12-12-2015 06:52 PM

Help me justify a miata

I test drove a 2016 Miata yesterday and I'm amazed. I thought my mini was fun but the Miata puts the mini to shame. The Miata is in budget but I can't justify it as a second car. It has to be my only car... I love small cars but the Miata is crazy small.
Anyone have Miata as an only car?

It's just me and my dog right now. Issues I'm seeing: Costco and Home Depot runs... Road trips to see my parents and brother (CT to NJ). Dog and luggage would be a super tight fit. Also dog is normally a back seat rider not sure how passenger seat would work out.
If all goes well I may get my 72 bug on the road next summer but that won't be a good road trip car. And would be a funny grocery getter.

A 3 hatch would be much more sensible. Is it crazier to get a car that only fills 95% of your auto needs or get a less fun car just to meet the extra 5%?

Hankscorpio 12-16-2015 07:45 PM

Really over 100 views and nobody can say something like "miatas aren't that bad as daily drivers" or "you really need a 2nd car with a Miata"

nhtrib 12-17-2015 06:20 PM

Just do it. OR, wait until you're to old and your walker won't fit.

lorddoomicus 04-21-2016 10:07 PM

I'm not gonna lie. If I didn't have a baby to put in the back seat, I would have gotten a Miata. But I went with a 4-door 3 iT. The Manual gear box is nice, and for a front wheel drive, it handles pretty good ( not like an Acura Integra good, but better than most ).

shipo 04-21-2016 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by lorddoomicus (Post 157704)
I'm not gonna lie. If I didn't have a baby to put in the back seat, I would have gotten a Miata. But I went with a 4-door 3 iT. The Manual gear box is nice, and for a front wheel drive, it handles pretty good ( not like an Acura Integra good, but better than most ).

My wife and I are relatively new at being "Empty Nesters"; our son in the Navy is on his second Miata (currently driving a very nice 1997 M Edition Miata), our daughter is in college and doesn't need a car. So, I recently bought an old minivan to do our people hauler duties; my wife has a factory order in on a 2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring (6-Speed Manual), and probably next spring I'll pick up a new 2017 Miata. My only conundrum is whether I want a conventional rag top or if I want the trick new power hardtop. :)

Sparky202 04-22-2016 07:41 PM

Power Retractable Hardtop shipo, so much easier for us, yeah I'll say it, mature drivers. Fun of a convertible, security of a hardtop.

As for your question Hank, it's got to be your choice. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle, trips, etc. then go with the 3. I have 2 customers that drive Miata's year round. One is a nurse and she puts on the miles. She traded the rag top in ( 145,000 ) for a power hard top. There is no question the Miata will be a good car, but if it doesn't fit what your going to use it for, you'll just be unhappy with it.

David Paul 05-26-2016 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hankscorpio (Post 155739)
I test drove a 2016 Miata yesterday and I'm amazed. I thought my mini was fun but the Miata puts the mini to shame. The Miata is in budget but I can't justify it as a second car. It has to be my only car... I love small cars but the Miata is crazy small.

It's just me and my dog right now. Issues I'm seeing: Costco and Home Depot runs... Road trips to see my parents and brother (CT to NJ). Dog and luggage would be a super tight fit. Also dog is normally a back seat rider not sure how passenger seat would work out.
If all goes well I may get my 72 bug on the road next summer but that won't be a good road trip car. And would be a funny grocery getter.

A 3 hatch would be much more sensible. Is it crazier to get a car that only fills 95% of your auto needs or get a less fun car just to meet the extra 5%?

Here is an answer for your most important consideration.

It is not safe for a pet to be in the front seat unless it is in a seat belt secured cage, and even then, It can be seriously injured without padding.

Your choice but I would not risk it with my four legged friends. They trust us and unconditionally love us.

Are you looking out for its best interest?

As you can tell, I love animals and they really do depend on us to do the right thing.

EvaSteel 06-08-2016 03:10 AM

Mazda Mk1 MX-5 I think is one of the best. I am searching to buy one. I read about this car here:

Mazda MX-5 Mk1 (Miata) ? 5 Things you didn?t know about the most popular roadster

ps: I hope isn't a problem if I posted this link :D

Sea Six 06-28-2016 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by EvaSteel (Post 158309)
Mazda Mk1 MX-5 I think is one of the best. I am searching to buy one. I read about this car here:

Mazda MX-5 Mk1 (Miata) ? 5 Things you didn?t know about the most popular roadster

ps: I hope isn't a problem if I posted this link :D

That link is almost 20 years old and totally out of date

taagman 10-28-2016 12:18 AM

Hello,

I just got a Miata (not a new one) for the first time in my 50+ years. Back seats are for children. Your dog can ride shotgun (the window down a smidge to let doggy smell the world outside). If you're really worried about Costco, 2 options: remove the spare for the trip (suddenly a LOT more cargo space) or get a trailer hitch and a hitch shelf if you buy that much.

The road trips alone will be worth it.

Sea Six 11-11-2016 11:18 AM

We have a new Miata, but I could not live with it as our only vehicle. We travel a lot and need space for the suitcases. Plus, there are just too many times we go shopping for things that just won't fit in the Miata. It's a good grocery getter, but not much more than that. So, our primary car is a CX-5, and the MX-5 is our toy.

RalphVa 12-01-2016 07:58 PM

Am currently thinking about getting one, but it would be in addition to our Mazda3, new September of 2016.

If it was my only car, I'd get a hitch receiver put on it (several online) and buy one of those platforms to slide into the receiver for when you need to get fuel in containers or big stuff. I was thinking of this plus a trailer to possibly replace our old Tacoma. However, we'll likely keep the old Tacoma for when we need to haul big stuff and fuel containers.

Gotta get the Jetta TDI out of the garage first. Any day now. Got the buyback letter but no schedule yet to take to the dealer.

Ralph

leaddude 02-04-2017 07:45 PM

IMHO, the Miata is a below average snow car, unless the snow is less than 3 inches or so, or unless you want to spring for 4 actual snow tires. Even with snow boots, snow deeper than 4" can be a challenge. If you plan to travel in the northeast, better rule out winter driving altogether. Otherwise, it's a blast to drive, and great eye candy. How much do I believe this? I just bought a soul red 2017 MX-5 RF. (Bought my first Miata in 1993).
- a dedicated Miata fan

shipo 02-04-2017 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by leaddude (Post 161167)
IMHO, the Miata is a below average snow car, unless the snow is less than 3 inches or so, or unless you want to spring for 4 actual snow tires. Even with snow boots, snow deeper than 4" can be a challenge. If you plan to travel in the northeast, better rule out winter driving altogether. Otherwise, it's a blast to drive, and great eye candy. How much do I believe this? I just bought a soul red 2017 MX-5 RF. (Bought my first Miata in 1993).
- a dedicated Miata fan

Hmmm, I live in New Hampshire and have driven our two NA Miatas in lots of snow shod only with All-Season tires; never had any issues even with four inches on the ground. Are there better snow cars? Yup, however, our Miatas never let us down.

nickndfl 02-04-2017 11:19 PM

Life is too short. If you have the money then buy it. I personally don't like the class of vehicle, I prefer CUVs and motorcycles. Have fun in your life before you are too old to enjoy it. Look back on fond memories instead of regrets.

MnMiata 08-24-2017 09:40 AM

Back in the 60's on a trip through Yellowstone and Rockies, I ran into a woman traveling solo with her Siberian Husky in her '68 Fiat 124 sport. She'd put a luggage rack on the trunk for her camping gear, and removed the passenger seat for the dog. Wish I'd kept in touch.... but the point is it can be made to work for you. Get waterproof duffle like bags for luggage. The passenger bay is huge for your purchases and with the seat gone even 8' lumber will fit with the top down.

Save the bug for dating.

I'm looking for a luggage rack, and may get another dog after retirement. The open road does have its hooks in me and my '90 NA says she's ready when I am.

MnMiata 08-24-2017 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hankscorpio (Post 155809)
Really over 100 views and nobody can say something like "miatas aren't that bad as daily drivers" or "you really need a 2nd car with a Miata"

Yeah, this is a disappointingly lame forum.

osbornk 10-08-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nickndfl (Post 161170)
Life is too short. If you have the money then buy it. I personally don't like the class of vehicle, I prefer CUVs and motorcycles. Have fun in your life before you are too old to enjoy it. Look back on fond memories instead of regrets.

I have a motorcycle, 4X4 F-150, AWD Honda CRV and most recently a 2006 Miata. I couldn't have the Miata as an only vehicle because my rifles and shotguns won't fit in the trunk. I bought the Miata to ride my steep crooked mountain roads when the weather is not good for riding a bike.

I had a friend that was being ribbed because he had bought a new car he didn't need. Someone asked him why he bought it and his answer was perfect. He said the bought it because he wanted it. That's why I buy almost everything I get.

steveythejohns 10-08-2017 04:48 PM

stevenjohnson9070@gmail.com

mazdaCPA 03-21-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MnMiata (Post 163878)
Yeah, this is a disappointingly lame forum.

This forum is what we make it. Mazda’s are so reliable that the enthusiastic owners are out driving and not searching for workarounds for inherent defects that many other makes with enthusiastic followers have.

I wish there was a stronger base of forum members representing shops specializing in modifying, parts suppliers, dealers, and manufacturer representatives. Expert advice is lacking without more experts.

We should all reapond when we have something to add. The forum is what we make it. Let’s make it a welcoming place for others who enjoy driving as much as we do.