Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Engine won't start/turn after oil change??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Default Engine won't start/turn after oil change??

Hey guys, This is my first post.

I just changed the oil for the first time on my 2005 Miata.... and now it won't start! The battery is good (headlights are still bright), all electronics such as windows and stereo work. The car is basically new, as it has less than 6000 miles on it.

FYI, I let the car sit there for a few days after i drained the oil because i couldn't get the oil filter off and lagged in buying a wrench for it. Other than that, there was nothing strange about the oil change.

Could it be the factory alarm system?? I need help in figuring this out.... The car is completely stock except for aftermarket cd deck.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Engine won't start/turn after oil change??

Honolulu Hawaii with a new convertible Miata. Tough life buddy. Tough life.

Is the engine cranking over at all or is it cranking over normally but will just not run? Also is the security light on the dash flashing rapidly when you are trying to start the car? If it is flashing rapidly then immobilizer system is activated. Try a different key.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:57 AM

no, the engine wont crank at all.... nothing at all happens when i turn the key from the on position to the crank position.

I bought the car used, and it only came with one key. also, i don't remember seeing any LED flash at all in the car. I had no idea that the factory alarm system would have an immobilizer. is there a way to bypass it using the same key?

also, today i tried to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.... didn't work.

thanks again.... and yeah, life ain't bad here in hawaii, hehe

Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 PM

One thing you might want to check is that the wires are all connected up to the starter. The oil filter is just ahead of the oil filter and you might have inadvertantly knocked the wire from the ignition switch loose right at the starter.

There is no way to bypass around an immobilizer system. The immobilizer light on the dash should look like a car with a key inside of it like in the pic below. If the immobilizer system has "forgotten" the code of your key then when turning the key on and trying to start this light will start flashing rapidly.
If that does not work then why not just call Mazda roadside assistance and they will transport your Miata to the nearest Mazda dealer free of charge. If your mileage is still under 50,000 the transport should be covered by warranty as well as any repairs needed to get it started as long as not justa dead battery..
You will need to have an additional key cut as two are needed to program keys to the system. Mazda will probably even pay for it if the key code was forgotten as it is not your fault that the key was blanked and two are required to reprogram.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/29230F22AA324EE9858B73AA2D60C9C3.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 PM

i agree, tough life indeed.
this sounds like one for the dealership to me too.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 PM

just an update guys... so i took your advice and had the car towed to the dealership on friday morning. They said it was an alarm issue, but didn't know how to fix it. so.... the car is stuck there over the weekend until they contact the mainland to figure out how to fix it. I guess living in paradise has it's drawbacks, eh?