Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Miata (MX-5) (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-miata-mx-5-21/)
-   -   Battery Life (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-miata-mx-5-21/battery-life-15673/)

small tools 09-06-2008 11:14 PM

Battery Life

I have a 2001 Miata that seems to have an electrical problem. I don't drive the car much so it sits in the driveway alot. Recently, I went to start it and the battery was dead. I charged the battery and it wouldn't hold a charge so I replaced it. I haven't driven it since I put the new battery in. Today, I went to drive it and it wouldn't start. I jump started it and put my load tester on it. The load tester showed that the charging system was good and my digital multimeter read 14.2 volts. When I pushed the load switch, the engine tried to die and it would have if I hadn't let go of the load switch. I let the car run for about 20 minutes and shut it off. It wouldn't even click let alone start! The only thing that has been on while the car sat in the driveway is the alarm. Any suggestions?

virgin1 09-07-2008 06:42 AM

RE: Battery Life

Voltage is easy, current is not.
My guess is that you have corrosion or rust around one of the batt wire connections, perhaps a bad ground to the chassis. There may also be corrosion at the main fuse. You could still get enough voltage, but not enough current will pass for heavier loads due to the high resistance.

Just my .02.

vlam129 09-07-2008 04:43 PM

Remember me Virgin, I have a 95 Civic that had the same problem.The main fuse and some other little fuse needed changing. Less than 10 bucks to fix.

virgin1 09-07-2008 07:10 PM

'Sure do!! So you got it fixed finally, huh?

vlam129 09-08-2008 11:36 PM

yea.I was really worried that it was going to be a bigger problem, like needing a new alternator. I had a mechanic come over to look at the car and he told me I needed a new starter instead. I'm just glad I got a second opinion.

virgin1 09-10-2008 04:17 AM

Glad to have been at your service! The bill is in the mail..... :D :D :D

vlam129 09-10-2008 02:52 PM

Send me your bill, but it doesn't make sense to spend 42 cents on a stamp to mail you 2 pennies (.02) Either way, thanks for your input.

virgin1 09-10-2008 03:14 PM

[8D]
Glad to see someone is thinking logically here and still has a sense of humor too. :D:D:D

vlam129 09-11-2008 03:04 PM

tools, any news yet?

tomthedog 09-11-2008 05:07 PM

if my '96 sits for more than a few weeks it's needs a jump. has the fact/dealeralarm (could pull the fuse). when you have a dead batt and are running on the alt, putting any kind of load on it will cause the alt to work at max, putting more of a load on the engine, causing the engine to lug. it might blow, but try disconnecting the batt if your car sits for a while. that or buy a battery charger at wallyworld for around $20. if you are worried about theft pulling a starter relay or another vital fuse will work as well. happy motoring.