Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Alternator Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Default Alternator Mounting

My 1992 Miata's lower alternator mounting is worn into an oval shape. This means the alternator is not "square" with the other pullies, so it wears the belt out prematurely. It appears that the lower mounting bolt on the alternator goes through an aluminum block that is part of the engine block, this block is worn more in the front than the rear. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what was your solution?

The only thing I can think of would be to put some sort of spacer inside the hole that has worn into an oval, but someone else may have a much better idea.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Alternator Mounting

i'm pretty sure that the mounting you are talking about is an actual bracket attached to the block by 3 or 4 bolts. have u removed the alternator yet? can u see a bracket attached to the block? let me know. if it is a bracket you could get one from a salvage yard or at worst the dealer.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Alternator Mounting

Woodurb69,

Thanks for the reply, but I am afraid the bracket is part of the oil pump plate at the very least, and another part of it is part of the block. I have the alternator off, but I do not want to pull the engine out, so I found what I think will be a "fix". I will put a quarter inch pipe in the ovaled out hole, then force some steel wedges beside the pipe to straighten the pipe in relation to the engine as a whole. Then when I bolt the new alternator on, it should stay in place. IF I ever pull the engine to rebuild it, I can repace or machine the bracket then.

I really appreciate you trying to help though. It is nice of you to take your time giving advice to those of us who do not know much about cars.

Thanks,

Ron