Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

1990 no start: fuel system or electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Default 1990 no start: fuel system or electrical?

What a fun car. I drove it for a few months, then it just wouldn't start. The place where I bought it (vets car donation) helped me out by replacing the crank-angle-sensor with a used one. THen it drove well for a few months, I put it away for the winter and brought it out this spring. Again, it drove for 2 months then stopped starting. Before it completely stopped, just like last year, most days, if the engine was cold, it barely started at first, I had to be careful not to give it any gas, it would limp along at a very low idle, then, after 2 minutes, would be running great.

I had thought maybe it was the MAS, but the one out of my 91 323 (looked identical) didn't change things, while the MAS from the miata worked in the 323.

I thought it maybe is the crank-angle-sensor, but maybe there is some other electrical thing that is blowing it. At 600.00 a pop, I'm not thrilled to buy a new one. I **do** get a great spark at the end of the ignition wire.

Disconnecting the fuel line, I've got tons of fuel coming to the front of the car.

I removed the engine this summer, thinking of putting in a used replacement, but when I realized the timing belt was not broken, and I ran out of money, I put the engine back in the car. I always wanted to 'pull an engine'....

Any ideas? Anyone has similar problems?

[IMG]local://upfiles/7084/A585B53B7AE840AFA66F4EE371880B4C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM

I know the old miatas had a problem with the ignitor itself. The piece that the spark plug wires go to that unit was notorious for having problems. I would see if you have spark first, then try to spray starter fluid in the throttle and see if it starts. If it does then you have a fuel problem like the pump, injector, or regulator. But try these first.