Mazda Forum Help & Suggestion Center Forum for members experiencing problems with the board or those who have suggestions to make the forum better.

Mazda 3 Oil starved - dealerships fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Default Mazda 3 Oil starved - dealerships fault

Bought Mazda 3 new in 2015, for daughter to take to college (USF tampa). Mazda Wesley Chapel (Tampa) changed oil in October. The oil filter gasket was faulty, and the engine lost all oil while she was driving back to school from work last week. After running very rough and noisily, It stopped running. It started up next morning.It was towed to Mazda. They changed the oil and filter and sent her on her way with no charge.

When she told me this, I called ...wtf.... asked what they thought they were doing. Did they test anything for damage? No. Did they inspect... no..apparently the service manager was out. I confirmed with the service tech. Engine was out of oil . I sent manager an email and left message. He emailed and called me back later in week. Apologized and said to bring in so they could do proper inspection. He sent me 4 pics, said there was no damage. He said they would give me 100,000 mile warranty on motor. I looked at pics, and one of three rod bearings in the pic ( no pic of fourth?) rod shows obvious damaged / excessive wear, the cam lobes also look like lifters were chattering over top, look scarred, and marked.

All this is documented via emails between me and service manager.

Is extra warranty acceptable? Should Mazda replace motor?
any suggestions?

Thanks

joe schulke

Rod bearing - damage to bottom one

Cam lobes look like lifters were chattering over top. Not certain, but looks like 2nd from bottom on right side, is lifter misaligned with cam, or just angle of pic?