Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Forum Help & Suggestion Center (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-forum-help-suggestion-center-16/)
-   -   Looking for assistance on 2004 6 w/2.3L (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-forum-help-suggestion-center-16/looking-assistance-2004-6-w-2-3l-38227/)

munger1972mgb 05-09-2017 10:14 AM

Looking for assistance on 2004 6 w/2.3L

My 2004 6 has the traction control warning light coming on as soon as the car gets up to about 60mph. The tach goes to 0 & then to back to high rpms (not affecting the actual engine rpms) and then the tc light comes on. The engine was running poorly (battery connection was loose and stopping the engine) so I fixed the batt connection, installed new plugs and wires, and cleaned the throttle body (removed and cleaned) and cleaned the MAS. Still the engine has up & down rpms at startup briefly and the TC light issue. I might add that the A/C-radio display is screwy and only works when cold. I have disconnected the battery for 10-15 minutes, stepped on the brakes for a couple of times in an attempt to reset the computer. I then let the engine idle for 20 minutes w/o A/C on & then 20 minutes w/ A/C on. The engine idles beautifully (after the initial up & down rpms) but still not running smoothly when driving. Any thoughts as to where I go from here?
Thanks

Corvette2nv 10-30-2017 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by munger1972mgb (Post 162371)
My 2004 6 has the traction control warning light coming on as soon as the car gets up to about 60mph. The tach goes to 0 & then to back to high rpms (not affecting the actual engine rpms) and then the tc light comes on. The engine was running poorly (battery connection was loose and stopping the engine) so I fixed the batt connection, installed new plugs and wires, and cleaned the throttle body (removed and cleaned) and cleaned the MAS. Still the engine has up & down rpms at startup briefly and the TC light issue. I might add that the A/C-radio display is screwy and only works when cold. I have disconnected the battery for 10-15 minutes, stepped on the brakes for a couple of times in an attempt to reset the computer. I then let the engine idle for 20 minutes w/o A/C on & then 20 minutes w/ A/C on. The engine idles beautifully (after the initial up & down rpms) but still not running smoothly when driving. Any thoughts as to where I go from here?
Thanks

just came across your post , i know its 5 months old but just wanted to ask if you ever found a solution to the RPM problem you had because i just recently started dealing with the same problem. Thanks

munger1972mgb 10-31-2017 08:50 AM

Mazda rpm issues

Thanks for responding to my post. I have not yet resolved the issue as I put the whole thing on the back burner for awhile. I have done some additional research and found that these issues can be caused by vacuum leaks and possibly a defective PCV valve. My plan is to replace all vacuum hoses and the PCV valve which requires the removal of the intake manifold. If I get around to doing the work one of these days, I certainly will let you know the results.

Corvette2nv 10-31-2017 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by munger1972mgb (Post 164776)
Thanks for responding to my post. I have not yet resolved the issue as I put the whole thing on the back burner for awhile. I have done some additional research and found that these issues can be caused by vacuum leaks and possibly a defective PCV valve. My plan is to replace all vacuum hoses and the PCV valve which requires the removal of the intake manifold. If I get around to doing the work one of these days, I certainly will let you know the results.

Thanks , ill be messing with mine this weekend , ill also let you know if i find something out.