Go Back  Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda CX-9
Reload this Page >

Whatís weight OEM 2018 CX9 20 inch rim? Planning for 1 size up.

Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Whatís weight OEM 2018 CX9 20 inch rim? Planning for 1 size up.

  #1  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1
Default Whatís weight OEM 2018 CX9 20 inch rim? Planning for 1 size up.

Trying to search the OEM weight of 2018 CX9 20inch with 8.5 width. Heard itís either 30lbs or 39.55lbs. Does anyone knows the weight? Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by CX9Signature View Post
Trying to search the OEM weight of 2018 CX9 20inch with 8.5 width. Heard itís either 30lbs or 39.55lbs. Does anyone knows the weight? Thanks
I believe the stock 20" rims are 39.55 lbs. Many 22" rims are closer to 30 so going bigger actually can save some weight!
 
  #3  
Old 02-14-2019, 03:45 PM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,353
Default

Originally Posted by dougal View Post
I believe the stock 20" rims are 39.55 lbs. Many 22" rims are closer to 30 so going bigger actually can save some weight!
Even if 22s are lighter than 20s, they will still have a higher rotational mass and still hurt acceleration, braking, and handling.
 
  #4  
Old 02-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Even if 22s are lighter than 20s, they will still have a higher rotational mass and still hurt acceleration, braking, and handling.

Huh? Mass is mass. Many 22" rims have less mass than the 20" rims they are replacing. And many after market tires will help keep the overall mass at each wheel reduced over the stock setup by 5-9 lbs per wheel.

That will improve braking, acceleration and handling.
 
  #5  
Old 02-16-2019, 02:15 PM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,353
Default

Originally Posted by dougal View Post
Huh? Mass is mass. Many 22" rims have less mass than the 20" rims they are replacing. And many after market tires will help keep the overall mass at each wheel reduced over the stock setup by 5-9 lbs per wheel.

That will improve braking, acceleration and handling.
No, apparently you either never took or don't remember your high-school physics class. Here are two quick primmers for you to get back up to speed:
 

Last edited by shipo; 02-16-2019 at 08:40 PM.
  #6  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
No, apparently you either never took or don't remember your high-school physics class. Here are two quick primmers for you to get back up to speed:
Assume a tire/wheel weight of 65 lbs per wheel for the stock 20 inch set up with 245/50 tires. Now calculate the energy required to push a tire/wheel weight of 55 lbs per wheel for 22" rims with a 285/35 tires. That is what we are talking about.

 
  #7  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,353
Default

Originally Posted by dougal View Post
Assume a tire/wheel weight of 65 lbs per wheel for the stock 20 inch set up with 245/50 tires. Now calculate the energy required to push a tire/wheel weight of 55 lbs per wheel for 22" rims with a 285/35 tires. That is what we are talking about.
You're still missing the point, given the fact the weight of the rim portion of the wheel is further from the axis of rotation, it doesn't matter whether the 22" wheel is lighter or not, it will still have a higher rotational mass than the heavier 20" wheel.
 
  #8  
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
No, apparently you either never took or don't remember your high-school physics class. Here are two quick primmers for you to get back up to speed:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post
You're still missing the point, given the fact the weight of the rim portion of the wheel is further from the axis of rotation, it doesn't matter whether the 22" wheel is lighter or not, it will still have a higher rotational mass than the heavier 20" wheel.
Do the math. Really, just do the math. You are making several assumptions. First, that the new wheel/tire combo will weigh more on the outside than the inside. Again, that is just an assumption. Second, you are assuming that the total diameter is changing dramatically, which again, is an assumption.

Again do the math. And realize you are using a lighter 22" rim, with almost almost the same wheel/tire weight (lighter), and exact same overall diameter.

 
  #9  
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 AM
shipo's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern New Hampshire
Posts: 2,353
Default

Originally Posted by dougal View Post
Do the math. Really, just do the math. You are making several assumptions. First, that the new wheel/tire combo will weigh more on the outside than the inside. Again, that is just an assumption. Second, you are assuming that the total diameter is changing dramatically, which again, is an assumption.

Again do the math. And realize you are using a lighter 22" rim, with almost almost the same wheel/tire weight (lighter), and exact same overall diameter.
Overall diameter is not the issue, the issue is the diameter of the rim and the mass of where the metal for the rim is located, you do the math.
 
  #10  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Overall diameter is not the issue, the issue is the diameter of the rim and the mass of where the metal for the rim is located, you do the math.
No point in discussing this further. Although not a complicated issue, you don't seem to understand the concept of a wheel alone and a wheel/tire combo. Diameter is important. Think of a figure skater.

You brought the equations into the discussion to defend your argument. But clearly don't understand them enough to use them to defend your argument.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whatís weight OEM 2018 CX9 20 inch rim? Planning for 1 size up.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.