Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Troubleshooting Advanced Key (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/troubleshooting-advanced-key-39459/)

Robert Weber 02-06-2018 08:55 PM

Troubleshooting Advanced Key

Hello, all, we are new owners of a 2007 CX 9. I'm in a bit of a quandary about the advanced key that came with it. Here are the symptoms:

The red KEY light is on on the dash whenever the key is in range.
The unlock request buttons on both doors do not work, although the red light on the advance key flashes whenever I press the unlock request button.
The lock/unlock buttons on the key fob do work properly. The keyless ignition works properly when the key is in the car.
The blade key works to lock/unlock the doors and in the ignition.
When shutting off the car the warning tone sounds when the door is open as if the headlights were in the ON position when they are in the AUTO position. The tone stops when the door is shut or when the lights shut off automatically.
When the car is turned off the fan blower comes on full blast for a few minutes, even though the car is completely off and independent of the settings of the climate control prior to shutting off the vehicle (the last two might be unrelated, but I thought I would mention them).

Any thoughts? I'm going to take it in for a complete diagnostic in a few weeks when I have a day off, but thought I would give you all a shot first.

Thanks, Rob

grim_reaper 02-07-2018 03:13 AM

How many remotes/advanced keys do you have? How new are the batteries?

Are they all working? Is one of them sitting inside the car when you have the other on you outside the car?

I assume you have the small black button on each front door handle?

There are 3 external aerials for the advanced keyless entry, if 1 of these fail, or one of the door buttons fail, it can disable parts of the system & cause warning lights & audible warning tones.

A diagnostic scan at a Mazda dealership will talk to the advanced keyless system for a indepth diagnostic. Aftermarket scanners are limited to the systems/modules they can read, & the range of codes they can read/see.

fan blower issue is a known fault with CX-9's, you need to replace both blower fan Relays.

Robert Weber 02-07-2018 06:36 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Here are your answers:

We were given one key with the vehicle. The battery is new as of last night.

I suspect there may be a key hidden somewhere inside the car, but I haven't found it yet.

Yes, there is an unlock request button on each front door handle (drivers and passengers sides)

We will be taking it to a Mazda dealership for the diagnostic. Thanks for the feedback on that.

I had to replace the blower relays on my old Pacifica so that shouldn't be too difficult. Odd coincidence that this happened less than one week after purchasing the vehicle, but I've bought enough older used cars to know these coincidences aren't than unusual.

Thanks again,
Rob

Robert Weber 03-28-2018 07:41 PM

Quick follow-up: It turns out the key is not working properly because the rear advanced key antenna is broken. Theoretically fixing it will make all the other problems go away. Haven't sprung for that, yet.

Brian Migrino 12-15-2020 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Weber (Post 166903)
Quick follow-up: It turns out the key is not working properly because the rear advanced key antenna is broken. Theoretically fixing it will make all the other problems go away. Haven't sprung for that, yet.

How did you fix this? I have the same problem that you have.