Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Remote starter for 2017 CX-9 GT (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/remote-starter-2017-cx-9-gt-38957/)

ssk 10-11-2017 02:03 PM

Remote starter for 2017 CX-9 GT

Hi all,

I recently bought the 2017 CX-9 GT and would like to install the remote engine starter. I would like to have smartphone capability with Bluetooth connectivity in the remote starter system, so i don't pay for the yearly subscriptions. Are there any suggestions?
Also, will installing this disable the advanced keyless entry system in GT when the car is remotely started?

EDIT: Mazda dealership has offered 2 models for remote starters - AutoStart AS-2386TW and Code Alarm CA4554-VSS. Any feedback on any of these models?

Thanks,
SSK

Vindibona1 10-16-2017 04:00 PM

I would like to know that answer to that too.

ssk 12-05-2017 09:38 AM

Though I did not receive any suggestions from this forum for my query, I would like to share what I went with so it will useful for someone having same question.

I opted for the Compustar PRO R3 (2 way) remote system with iDatalink FT-DC2-S module which is compatible with my 2017 CX-9 GT. This was installed at a Compustar PRO dealership and they initially suggested to go with the iDatalink ADS-BLADE AS module, but I opted for the other one so that the feature 3x LOCK on the factory fob to start the engine can be enabled. With this system the proximity features (request button on doors) work fine. Also, the engine will not shut down when the door is opened. Instead, for safety, they have a time-limited take over procedure in which you enter the vehicle and depress the brake pedal with in 45 seconds of unlocking the car using the remote starter fob or the request button on the driver's door; beyond which it will shut down the engine when the brake is depressed. I also had them activate the rear defroster when the vehicle is started. The whole thing costed me $465 in MN.

Compustar PRO R3 (2 way)
iDatalink FT-DC2-S

Thanks,
SSK

ssk 12-05-2017 09:44 AM

Though I did not receive any suggestions from this forum for my query, I would like to share what I went with so it will useful for someone having same question.

I opted for the Compustar PRO R3 (2 way) remote system with iDatalink FT-DC2-S module which is compatible with my 2017 CX-9 GT. This was installed at a Compustar PRO dealership and they initially suggested to go with the iDatalink ADS-BLADE AS module, but I opted for the other one so that the feature 3X LOCK on the factory fob to start the engine can be enabled. With this system the proximity features (request button on doors) work fine. Also, the engine will not shut down when the door is opened. Instead, for safety, they have a time-limited take over procedure in which you enter the vehicle and depress the brake pedal with in 45 seconds after unlocking the car either with the aftermarket fob or the request button on driver's door. Beyond this 45 seconds, the engine will shut down when the brake is depressed. I also had them activate the rear defroster when the vehicle is started. The whole system, with installation, costed me $465 in MN.

Compustar PRO R3 (2 way)
iDatalink FT-DC2-S

Thanks,
SSK

ssk 12-05-2017 09:45 AM

I opted for the Compustar PRO R3 (2 way) remote system with iDatalink FT-DC2-S module which is compatible with my 2017 CX-9 GT. This was installed at a Compustar PRO dealership and they initially suggested to go with the iDatalink ADS-BLADE AS module, but I opted for the other one so that the feature 3X LOCK on the factory fob to start the engine can be enabled. With this system the proximity features (request button on doors) work fine. Also, the engine will not shut down when the door is opened. Instead, for safety, they have a time-limited take over procedure in which you enter the vehicle and depress the brake pedal with in 45 seconds after unlocking the car either with the aftermarket fob or the request button on driver's door. Beyond this 45 seconds, the engine will shut down when the brake is depressed. I also had them activate the rear defroster when the vehicle is started. The whole system installed costed me $465 in MN.

Compustar PRO R3 (2 way)
iDatalink FT-DC2-S

Thanks,
SSK

ssk 12-05-2017 11:20 AM

I opted for the Compustar PRO R3 (2 way) remote system with iDatalink FT-DC2-S module which is compatible with my 2017 CX-9 GT. This was installed at a Compustar PRO dealership and they initially suggested to go with the iDatalink ADS-BLADE AS module, but I opted for the other one so that the feature 3X LOCK on the factory fob to start the engine can be enabled. With this system the proximity features (request button on doors) work fine. Also, the engine will not shut down when the door is opened. Instead, for safety, they have a time-limited take over procedure in which you enter the vehicle and depress the brake pedal with in 45 seconds after unlocking the car either with the aftermarket fob or the request button on driver's door. Beyond this 45 seconds, the engine will shut down when the brake is depressed. I also had them activate the rear defroster when the vehicle is started. The whole system installed costed me $465 in MN.

Compustar PRO R3 (2 way)
iDatalink FT-DC2-S

Thanks,
SSK

Vindibona1 06-01-2020 12:58 PM

Went with Viper

Originally Posted by ssk (Post 165210)

Compustar PRO R3 (2 way)
iDatalink FT-DC2-S

Thanks,
SSK

With all the research that I did it all came down to the installer I trusted. They are a larger appliance company that has a dedicated auto department. Our experience with them and the convenience of their installation process and the unwavering way they stand behind their products, this made it sort of a no brainer.

They only offered the viper system which minimized that discussion. We wanted a remote start that was fully featured and could be access from our cell phones. Also the remote start can be turned on with the key fob from line of sight. The Viper SmartStart app is really quite good. It has many functions including finding the car on a map which has extreme accuracy. If you have a teenager that’s driving the car you can know exactly where the car is at any moment, and it brings up the location extremely quickly.

One of the things that we found attractive was that their three-year subscription was only $150. We also have a Volvo with their on-call remote system which renews at $200 per year. Obviously the Viper system in the long term is really quite a bargain. I only wish that I could convert the Volvo to the viper system to take advantage of the lower subscription rates. The viper system works better than the Volvo in both speed features efficiency. The Volvo on-call system has quirks that we don’t find with the Viper.

Then we’ve only had the installation for part of one winter season, we have had zero regrets or misgivings. And while the Viper SmartStart system was not the cheapest option it gives us everything we need and works flawlessly.