Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Oil change at 500 miles necessary ? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/oil-change-500-miles-necessary-43836/)

ahmadka 02-11-2020 03:15 PM

Oil change at 500 miles necessary ?

Hi everyone. I got a new CX-9 a little over a month ago and my dealership told me something about changing oil once my CX-9's odometer hits 500 miles ... Is this necessary ? It might be that "break in oil" or something ..

If this servicing is needed/recommended, what kind of a cost am I looking at ?

shipo 02-11-2020 04:42 PM

Your Owner's Manual advises to change the oil at the recommended interval; I think the folks who designed your car and wrote your manual know more about what it needs compared to the dealer.

ahmadka 02-11-2020 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 181067)
Your Owner's Manual advises to change the oil at the recommended interval; I think the folks who designed your car and wrote your manual know more about what it needs compared to the dealer.

Makes sense, but then why would the dealer ask me to come in and have the break in oil changed once I hit 500 miles ?

shipo 02-11-2020 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ahmadka (Post 181071)
Makes sense, but then why would the dealer ask me to come in and have the break in oil changed once I hit 500 miles ?

To milk you for more money. There is no such a thing as break-in oil per-se; what is in your engine is a mixture of off the shelf oil along with scientifically formulated assembly pastes which double to aid the break-in process. These compounds are designed to stay in the engine for at least seven thousand miles.

ahmadka 02-11-2020 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 181073)
To milk you for more money. There is no such a thing as break-in oil per-se; what is in your engine is a mixture of off the shelf oil along with scientifically formulated assembly pastes which double to aid the break-in process. These compounds are designed to stay in the engine for at least seven thousand miles.

So I talked with the dealership service department. They say that this 500 mile thing break in oil replacement thing is something new for some 2019 and 2020 Mazda cars, that Mazda wants dealers to deal with even though the manual doesn't mention it. They say this oil replacement is free of charge. I guess I will confirm this from Mazda customer service too ..

shipo 02-11-2020 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ahmadka (Post 181075)
So I talked with the dealership service department. They say that this 500 mile thing break in oil replacement thing is something new for some 2019 and 2020 Mazda cars, that Mazda wants dealers to deal with even though the manual doesn't mention it. They say this oil replacement is free of charge. I guess I will confirm this from Mazda customer service too ..

Have them put it in writing; if they won't, then pretty good chance they aren't telling you the truth.

ahmadka 02-11-2020 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 181076)
Have them put it in writing; if they won't, then pretty good chance they aren't telling you the truth.

I talked with a Mazda Customer Service agent and told him that my dealer is offering this free of charge break in oil change. The agent then called my dealer's service department and asked about it. When he came back online, he said it's a dealer independent program to change oil at 500 miles just to ensure that cars purchased from them keep running fine (because they may have been sitting on the dealer lot for a while perhaps, etc.). However the agent said that as per Mazda's own servicing schedule, he doesn't feel an oil change is needed at just 500 miles, even if it's free or charge.

grim_reaper 02-12-2020 05:47 AM

Whats the build date of the vehicle? If its 12 months ago I would change the oil.

ahmadka 02-12-2020 02:50 PM

Build date is 6/19, so it was manufactured less than a year ago

grim_reaper 02-13-2020 05:17 AM

I wouldn't change the oil until its reached 12 months or 6,000 miles.