Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Mazda CX-9 awd 2018 snow chains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Default Mazda CX-9 awd 2018 snow chains?

so I read the manual and yes it says no chains for my 20in wheel size . However etrailer has a video with the Mazda CX-9 2016 20in wheels and titan brand tire chain working with the Mazda and no issues. I’m more interested with the konig easy install but am afraid of damaging the car. Anyone put chains on or have any input of what clearance is needed to be safe?

Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM

If the manual says not to use chains, I would not risk it.

I would recommend winter wheels and tires, however, with your location of Los Angeles, I suspect they would not get much use!

Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
If the manual says not to use chains, I would not risk it.

I would recommend winter wheels and tires, however, with your location of Los Angeles, I suspect they would not get much use!
I agree that’s why I’m hoping for a cheaper more convenient alternative. etrailer has a video with chains installed on a 20 in 2016 cx9 seen here. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...leid=201869629

however I rather have better quality chains like these. https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains...leid=201869629

Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Nex

Ok.. can you explan why you would need chains in LA?
I dont know how much snow you're looking at.. but I assure you.. a set of winter tires or even all weather tires.. will out do any snow chains..
And with AWD.. its a no brainer..

From GOOGLE: "Snow is extremely rare in the Greater Los Angelesarea and basin, but the nearby San Gabriel Mountains and San Bernardino Mountains typically receive a heavy amount of snow every winter season. The greatest snowfall recorded in downtownLos Angeles was 2 inches (5 cm) on January 15, 1932."..

I think you ll be ok with regualar tires..

Old 01-21-2019, 05:51 AM

Before we conclude that you will be ok without chains or winter tires, the type of tires in addition to the amount of snow anticipated should be considered.

All weather tires and careful driving should should be fine for a trip to a ski resort. The roads will most likely be plowed before you get to them. If they are not plowed, I have typically found that traffic will be so clogged that my winter tires are irrelevant.

If you have summer tires it is a different story. I would stay away from all snow and ice.

It would be interesting to hear your plans. Are you planning for a winter excursion to Alaska (rent a Jeep and take a winter driving course) or just preparing for the possibility of snow.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Before we conclude that you will be ok without chains or winter tires, the type of tires in addition to the amount of snow anticipated should be considered.

All weather tires and careful driving should should be fine for a trip to a ski resort. The roads will most likely be plowed before you get to them. If they are not plowed, I have typically found that traffic will be so clogged that my winter tires are irrelevant.

If you have summer tires it is a different story. I would stay away from all snow and ice.

It would be interesting to hear your plans. Are you planning for a winter excursion to Alaska (rent a Jeep and take a winter driving course) or just preparing for the possibility of snow.
i hope I never have to use them, however California requires you to carry chains in the winter months even if it’s sunny in the mountain areas. They state the mountain areas are unpredictable. So I need to have a pair to show them if I get pulled over and to apply if the need should ever come up.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Wow. I just looked up the California Chain Control Law. I couldn't imagine a requirement for chains even for vehicles with studded winter tires. If you have all weather tires and are going to areas where R2 or R3 may be in effect when you need to be on the road, I guess you should get the chains you found and hope you never need them. A better option may be to stay off the road when they implement R2 or R3 restrictions. I don't think I would risk driving in these extreme conditions with or without chains. The danger from driving in snow is typically the other drivers on the road and chains can't help you then.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 PM

Just a note that all-weather tires and all-season tires are different. All-seasons are not tested on snow. They meet a geometric requirement of the tread pattern to get the rating. All-weather tires are a new designation. These have met the on-snow testing for the severe snow service symbol, the snowflake on a mountain. They are also suitable for year round use, although the tread life will be shorter than an all-season tire. And not quite as good on snow or ice as a true winter tire. All tire designs are a compromise. The Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires are an example of what I'm calling all-weather, although GY calls them all-season....

Ever, I'd buy the Titan chains. Call etrailer if you wish and discuss it with them. I'm not sure the König chains are better, whatever that means. Likely easier to install, but you may never use these chains. In any case, put them on in your lighted, dry driveway to check the fit and learn how to install them on the mountain in the dark, cold, wet slush. How about something like these from Peerless Chain...or any of the Peerless cables. Again, you'll probably never get them out of the box except to dry fit them in your driveway, but it is wise to have them and know how to put them on. The cables will get you over the mountain fine.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:04 PM

How about a product called AutoSock...anyone tried that? I'm in the same boat, have the 20" wheels but will be going up to the mountains 6-8 times this season to go snow skiing. Very unlikely that we'll run into R3 conditions because by the time they get that bad they usually close the road.

Talked to the nice folks at etrailer.com and the only one they recommended was an $800 pair. Yikes, that's nearly a new set of wheels and tires in a smaller size and then I still need to carry chains according to California DOT law.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Default Would Auto socks work?

Saw an ad for these autosocks which are a thin fabric version of chains/ cables and wondered if they would be allowed as The are not adding metal in such tight spot when using original all weather 20" wheels. Anyone ever heard of these? I have the fwd not Awd so going to Tahoe will need something just to be on the roads!

Q

mazdaCPA;172263]If the manual says not to use chains, I would not risk it.

I would recommend winter wheels and tires, however, with your location of Los Angeles, I suspect they would not get much use![/QUOTE]