Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Key broke in ignition. Daughter stranded (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/key-broke-ignition-daughter-stranded-40716/)

douginky 10-07-2018 06:39 PM

Key broke in ignition. Daughter stranded

Hi all.
My daughter has a 2007 cx-9. She called me from Paducah (I'm in Corbin) Ky and she managed to break off the metal part of her one and only key fob in the ignition.
She tried to start it by turning by the little piece that was sticking out, but no luck. I assume it must be attached to the fob part?
Anyhow, she got thru to the dealer late Sat afternoon and they're telling her she'll have to have the vehicle towed there for them to program another key.
As bad as that is, they also say their only tech that can do this is out all next week.
She just moved there this fall and started her first "straight out of college" high school teaching job. She knows no one there.
Is there any other option for her?
Thanks in advance.

grim_reaper 10-08-2018 05:41 AM

Google mobile locksmiths in the area & see if any are automotive.

PTguy 10-08-2018 02:02 PM

A good local locksmith should be able to get her going, and for half what the dealership will charge.

douginky 10-08-2018 02:46 PM

You guys were right. Local locksmith got her going for $60
Thanks for the replies.
Doug

mazdaCPA 10-08-2018 03:33 PM

A locksmith was a much better option than what would have happened in my household. My wife would have sent me Paducah to drive her to work.

DianeHalle 01-28-2020 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by PTguy (Post 170382)
A good local locksmith should be able to get her going, and for half what the dealership will charge.

Are you sure about it because i am also in same problem and i will surely go for having emergency locksmith service if the price is comparatively less than the dealer.

mazdaCPA 01-28-2020 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by DianeHalle (Post 180688)
Are you sure about it because i am also in same problem and i will surely go for having emergency locksmith service if the price is comparatively less than the dealer.

I would try the locksmith first. They handle this issue far more often than an dealer. The dealer will need the car delivered to them where the locksmith can fix it where it is.

lawrenceshimmerman 09-08-2020 10:15 AM

Can you tell me the exact cost charged by a locksmith for that work?

lawrenceshimmerman 09-30-2020 12:11 PM

Thanks I would definitely get one from the locksmith.