Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Drive without key (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/drive-without-key-37559/)

Jwilliams52508 12-03-2016 09:42 AM

Drive without key

Hello everyone, just recently bought a 2016 white CX 9 GT. Liking the vehicle so far minus the center console taking away some very much needed leg space. My question is can the CX 9 be driven once you start it and no key is detected? Like for example I start the car in my driveway and then go back in my house, a theif sees the car running and jumps in it. Can he drive off without key?

JeffMD 12-03-2016 03:16 PM

Yes. afaik all cars will do this on the principal that if the key for some reason fails while you are driving, it does not suddenly disable your car in traffic.

Jwilliams52508 12-04-2016 09:22 AM

OK, thanks for the answer. I just wish there was a safety feature like the car not being able to be put in drive if the key is not detected. I understand the safety feature while you're driving, but it shouldn't let you get that far.

JeffMD 12-04-2016 09:31 AM

Again though, your not thinking about reasons you could be driving the car without an active key fob. I know my mazda actually does not have a backup key slot for starting the car. It actually has an rfid in the tip that can be picked up if it is in contact with the start button. So I would want the car to keep running without an active key fob.

The idea is..don't leave your car running unless you know no one is around to take it. Infact you can't lock the doors when you do this. When the car is running and senses the key fob moving away it will unlock the doors. Not really sure why actually.

Jwilliams52508 12-04-2016 09:56 AM

I don't agree with that neither. You should be able to lock your door while it's running. The car not being able to lock with the key still inside is smart. I understand everything you're saying about driving i just done agree with it. Your fob is your key, no key no drive. I feel like the car should alert you prior to your fob battery dying or any malfunction it may be having. While in the middle of driving I agree, but prior to shifting that gear out of park I don't.

matrix 12-19-2016 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jwilliams52508 (Post 160298)
Hello everyone, just recently bought a 2016 white CX 9 GT. Liking the vehicle so far minus the center console taking away some very much needed leg space. My question is can the CX 9 be driven once you start it and no key is detected? Like for example I start the car in my driveway and then go back in my house, a theif sees the car running and jumps in it. Can he drive off without key?

If you turn on your CX9 with the keys and then go out and leave the keys anywhere without power off the car, you can return and drive without any issue. You only see a warning "no keys detected".

if you power off and have no keys, You cannot power on the car again.

if you power off and go away with keys in your pocket, the car will close all doors.

if you want a security measure to avoid a thief to drive away, you can install an aftermarket security device to allow you that.

Mark Helm 07-08-2018 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jwilliams52508 (Post 160307)
I don't agree with that neither. You should be able to lock your door while it's running. The car not being able to lock with the key still inside is smart. I understand everything you're saying about driving i just done agree with it. Your fob is your key, no key no drive. I feel like the car should alert you prior to your fob battery dying or any malfunction it may be having. While in the middle of driving I agree, but prior to shifting that gear out of park I don't.

If it has a hidden key just take it out of the remote and lock the doors manually