Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Coolant and oil mixed (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/coolant-oil-mixed-41761/)

spideyluvshockey 04-10-2019 06:07 AM

Coolant and oil mixed

Our 2012 CX9 starting making a squealing noise like a belt was loose. Took it to our mechanic, the oil dip stick looks like a peanut butter milkshake. Up to this point, we hadn't had any problems. Change the oil every 5k miles. at 100,000 miles had a tune up and check up on it. we only have 144k. Has anyone else had an issue like this. Literally no issues then the engine just crapped out.

grim_reaper 04-10-2019 06:25 AM

If you're lucky it's just the oil cooler. If not then it might be a head gasket.

static135 01-14-2020 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by spideyluvshockey (Post 174190)
Our 2012 CX9 starting making a squealing noise like a belt was loose. Took it to our mechanic, the oil dip stick looks like a peanut butter milkshake. Up to this point, we hadn't had any problems. Change the oil every 5k miles. at 100,000 miles had a tune up and check up on it. we only have 144k. Has anyone else had an issue like this. Literally no issues then the engine just crapped out.

your water pump failed and the coolant mixed with your engine oil causing the oil to look like milkshake. since the water pump is internal theres no way you would have found out it was failing. happened to me I had to get the engine replaced. bad design on this motor. there is a civil law suit pending for this problem

grim_reaper 01-15-2020 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by static135 (Post 180263)
your water pump failed and the coolant mixed with your engine oil causing the oil to look like milkshake. since the water pump is internal theres no way you would have found out it was failing. happened to me I had to get the engine replaced. bad design on this motor. there is a civil law suit pending for this problem

Water pump is external, but if it fails, how does the coolant go from the water jacket into the oil? Its not possible.

lcb 11-28-2022 09:28 AM

Did you end up fixing/ replacing engine? I'm in a similar situation with 2013 cx9

lcb 11-28-2022 09:29 AM

Did you end up fixing/ replacing engine? I'm in a similar situation with 2013 cx9

Callisto 11-28-2022 10:59 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Well a few things your "mechanic" should have done!

Pressure checked the cooling system
Chemical tested the coolant

Then
Cylinder compression check
followed up if needed by a
Cylinder Leak down test.

At that point the accumulated information will tell you the state of the engine condition and a possible solution to the cause if not only the water pump.
Water in the engine can be removed first by changing the oil and then simply by driving and running the engine. As long as new water is not introduced into the engine the reaming moisture will be vaporized and removed via the PCV system. .

lcb 11-28-2022 01:05 PM

Mechanic said that internal engine failure allows coolant mix into the engine oil. Verified via coolant pressure test, and visual oil level shows a milky oil, with over 5 quarts of water in the engine crankcase. (It just had an oil change several days ago, so I don't know how this happened so fast!) He said I needed a new head gasket but that a new engine was actually cheaper. 8K!!! It's 2013 about 140K miles. Is it worth doing? I fully expected to drive this vehicle for another several years. But 8K!

Callisto 11-28-2022 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by lcb (Post 210093)
Mechanic said that internal engine failure allows coolant mix into the engine oil. Verified via coolant pressure test, and visual oil level shows a milky oil, with over 5 quarts of water in the engine crankcase. (It just had an oil change several days ago, so I don't know how this happened so fast!) He said I needed a new head gasket but that a new engine was actually cheaper. 8K!!! It's 2013 about 140K miles. Is it worth doing? I fully expected to drive this vehicle for another several years. But 8K!

Sooooo interesting information, 5 quarts of water in your crankcase should have likely locked the engine up yet it was still running? I would get a different evaluation and estimate because if it is a head gasket only the cost should be much less then a engine and engine replacement! With your age and miles the shop should be looking at companies that sell low mileage complete engines. Also they should have considered that the head was warped and also had an estimate based on a head replacement?

Thats all the advice I can give you. Find a different shop preferably one in your City that has ASE Certified mechanic's and Technician's . Its easy if they don't and should be displaying a ASE sign on their business they will tell you and those employees will have their certification on display in the shop.

Good Luck :cool: