Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

ANYONE self upgrade to apple car play

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Question ANYONE self upgrade to apple car play

Hello, So i have a 2018 CX9
I went to the dealer today to find out about adding the carplay option.
They want $500. to do it.

I found on ebay a couple of kits for around $150.00

Just wondering if anyone has done this on their own?

Thanks for any help

randy

Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 PM

I had the dealer add it to my 2018 GT as part of the sale so I didn't pay for it ( I think lol) . It took them a couple of hours and as far as I know you have to get into the rear center counsole a re-wire/replace the USB jacks. They also update the firmware for the infotainment as well. Not sure if that is a separate process or not. Good luck. I think its a rip-off that they are charging that much. They know what a desirable feature it is and want to get the most they can for it I guess. They should just charge a couple hours of labor and call it a day. I'm fairly handy but when it comes to anything electrical I'll pass that to the pro's.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM

Thanks, i found a couple of youtube videos and it looks alittle concerning. You have to dismantle the centerconsole and some of the dash.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Default I did it myself on my 2016 CX-9 signature and took me a few hours.

Officially they recommend taking off a lot of things. But if you have wire fishing tools, you will only need to take off the rear air conditioning outlet console, passenger side leather trim just below the gear shifter, the display and the car computer behind it.

https://youtu.be/ED1Y3Zlrsgs

Start at 3 minutes into the video to see what I mean by no need to take off the whole center console and only a trim.

The most time consuming part for me is I would like to fish the wire under the center console, and it stuck. However, as suggested by that video, you can fish the wire from under the plastic trim of the passenger side center console. That's where I ended up sliding my hand up to push the wire through. If I had taken the easier way as suggested by the video it would have taken shorter time.

Remember to upgrade firmware to 70+ first. Let me know if you don't know what I am talking about and I can send you more links.

It will still require patience and time.

Enjoy

Old 02-27-2019, 07:37 PM

I have to say it is worth it though. If even just for the Waze navigation or Goggle maps. I doubt I will ever use the factory navigation. Pretty soon they won't be able to have the big up charge for navigation because everyone will just be using their phone.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Default I paid $353

I
Originally Posted by paries
Thanks, i found a couple of youtube videos and it looks alittle concerning. You have to dismantle the centerconsole and some of the dash.

Thanks
My dealer did it for $353 in Maine. Parts and labor.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 PM

Hello evondos,

Can you please send me the link of the firmware. I'm having problem to download. Need to download the Android Firmware first.
Thankns
Mannyq