Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   2016 CX-9 Roof Rack Cross Bars (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/2016-cx-9-roof-rack-cross-bars-37544/)

shart965 11-30-2016 12:00 PM

2016 CX-9 Roof Rack Cross Bars

I purchased my CX-9 earlier this year and given our need for a little more space during road trips have purchased a Thule Force XL cargo box. I understand that I need cross bars to attach to the roof rack but it appears that nobody makes ones except Mazda. I would like to hear if anyone has added cross bars and which ones they used. Also, is it worthwhile to get locks on the cross bars if I'm going to attach a very nice cargo box. I would think so, but the Mazda bars aren't lockable.

Thanks

Steven Hart

TravL350 12-02-2016 02:12 PM

Hi Steven -

I bought the Mazda crossbars for my '16 CX-9. So far so good, though I have only used bike racks, not a roof box. You're right they are not lockable, but having installed them myself, I can't imagine a theif actually getting away with removing them. It took me a solid half hour of blindly fiddling with the allen bolts upside down to install them. If you can get your dealer to put them on for you, I would recommend it!

Hope that helps,

Travis

evondos 12-05-2016 12:27 AM

Hi Travis,

Would you mind sharing a picture of your car with the cross bars? Looks like they only come in black. Do you notice added wind noise with the Mazda cross bars?

Thanks!
Ivan

TravL350 12-05-2016 07:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
No wind noise at all - they are silent. There's also no branding or color, they very much look like OEM - like something that should come with the car. But they're all powder coated metal and very sturdy.

evondos 12-06-2016 12:03 AM

Thanks Travis!

shart965 12-08-2016 10:50 AM

Update on Thule Force XL

I purchased the Thule Force XL and it is HUGE!!! Not sure how it will fit but I will be getting crossbars tomorrow and will try it out. Might need to downsize to large. The XL is 84 inches long. Wish the Mazda site would be better, they showed the XL and the medium as options.

I will attach and post pics.

TravL350 12-08-2016 12:26 PM

Please do! I'd love to see what that looks like. You'll be able to go on some major road trips with one of those.

kneekon@gmail.com 12-08-2016 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my yakima skybox 22 box. fit a ton of luggage !

evondos 12-15-2016 01:18 AM

Thule Force XL Cargo Box

5 Attachment(s)
So, I brought the cross bars and the Thule Force XL Cargo box.

Here are some pictures with the cargo box mounted.

It clears the shark fin nicely (the picture looks tighter than it actually is).

At highway speed, I do hear added wind noise, but not too much with the sunroof shade closed. I think because this is the XL and the overhanging do generate wind noise right above the sunroof.

Only had a 5 minutes drive on highway though.

Longgunner 02-27-2021 10:01 PM

Roof rails and crock bars

hello
are you a roof rails and crossbars OEM Mazda parts And if so did you install them?
Thanks Dave

Originally Posted by evondos (Post 160437)
So, I brought the cross bars and the Thule Force XL Cargo box.

Here are some pictures with the cargo box mounted.

It clears the shark fin nicely (the picture looks tighter than it actually is).

At highway speed, I do hear added wind noise, but not too much with the sunroof shade closed. I think because this is the XL and the overhanging do generate wind noise right above the sunroof.

Only had a 5 minutes drive on highway though.