Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Radio Lights Flickering

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Default Radio Lights Flickering

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
My radio lights (buttons for radio only) flicker after I've been driving the car for more than 20-30 minutes (after it's good and warmed up). Other interior and exterior lights seem to be fine, nav screen is fine, and it doesn't effect the functionality of the radio itself.

The dealer and audio pro looked at it and didn't see anything obvious. They couldn't replicate it so they didn't fix anything. After my oil change today and PCM Flash, it's still doing it.

I have a FWD Grand Touring with Tech Package.

Anyone else?
Ideas?

Old 12-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Default RE: Radio Lights Flickering

Here's my summary of issues:

Radio Flicker issue:

12/8/06

Radio Button Lights started flickering. I have the Technology Package, and it's JUST the buttons for the radio (around the nav screen), but not including the navigation screen. All other interior and exterior lighting appears to be fine. It started tonight... lasted about 10 minutes... and then stopped.

12/14/06

First time since last Friday and the radio lights were flickering tonight again. I go in for an oil change next week, so I'm going to mention it. Audio guy took a quick look and didn't see anything wrong. Someone on another forum (Edmunds) reported a similar problem as well (but no known cause yet).

Interestingly enough, it wasn't cold tonight (like it was last week when it happened). It also only seemed to start after I had been driving the car for a while (more than 30 minutes). I do a lot of local driving and often am not in the car longer than 10 minutes.

I can't link it to anything else. Turned off power seats it still continued. Radio off it still continued. Heat off it continued. Nav screen and other interior/exterior lights seem fine.

12/21/06

Went for 1,000 mile oil change.
Dealer couldn't replicate the problem (which I knew would happen). I have to try to bring it in when it's occurring. They did do a PCM Flash and on that other forum the person with the same problem said that fixed it (or was just a coincidence) - so my fingers are crossed.

12/22/06

Last night the radio lights were flickering again. PCM Flash did not resolve it.

I took the car back to the dealer today. It has been difficult to demonstrate the problem because during the day you cannot see that the radio buttons are lit (and they aren't lit unless the headlights are on). It also doesn't happen until after the car is good and warmed up (after I've been driving it at least 30 minutes). I did drive it for a good hour before bringing it, hoping they would see the issue when it was pulled into the (darker) shop. The technician connected the car to a computer and it did not return any diagnostic codes/problems. He then called the Mazda Tech Line and they said "there have been some issues with the radio/navigation system but not this specific problem" (and my symptoms do not include the navigation screen - that seems to be fine). They told the tech to remove the radio and check connections first and that the unit might need to be replaced.

This was not something they could do today (they were on a limited schedule because of the holiday), so I am scheduled to bring the car back on January 4th (their earliest appointment available). I will be leaving the car with them for the day.

Everyone at Mazda has been VERY nice and professional, and they are trying their best to track down the issue. Right now it's more of an annoyance to me than a serious issue, but I just hope it's not an indication of other electrical gremlins.