Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Battery drain. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 05:40 AM
Default Battery drain. Please help.

Hi everyone I have a 2008 Cx7. 2.3 DISI Turbo AWD, over the past year I have had issues where I come out of a morning and go to start the car and it seems that the battery is dead. I get it started and its okay for a couple of days. I did my own meter test and it all read fine, I have taken the car to my local garage and have had him do a test on the battery and on the alternator. Both have turned out fine. I have NO modifications done to the car so there are No extra items to drain it.
What else could it be.
I love this car, but am getting fed up having to go out in the morning and struggle to get it going. I dont leave anything on, I TURN ALL ITEMS TO MANUAL OPERATION, IE THE LIGHTS, WIPERS, I DONT USE THE HEATED SEAT BUTTONS, I MAKE SURE THE RADIO IS OFF.
Please help as i have kids and a hectic job and need my car.
What are the proven usual drains that happen with this car and what else can I try.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 PM

While I am not a mechanic, I will give my thoughts for what it is worth.

How old is the battery? Although the shop and your test show that it is fine, I have found that batteries don't last as long as they used to.

Any chance that something is draining the battery that you are not accounting for? A light under the hood, in the glove box, in the cargo area? (I am not familiar with the model so I don't know what the possibilities are.) I had a car a while back that my daughter told me that the glove box light was always on and it was only visible from the rear seat foot well area!

I hope an expert follows with additional suggestions. Good luck. I understand the frustration of not knowing if the car is going to start.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by PromETHieus
Hi everyone I have a 2008 Cx7. 2.3 DISI Turbo AWD, over the past year I have had issues where I come out of a morning and go to start the car and it seems that the battery is dead. I get it started and its okay for a couple of days. I did my own meter test and it all read fine, I have taken the car to my local garage and have had him do a test on the battery and on the alternator. Both have turned out fine. I have NO modifications done to the car so there are No extra items to drain it.
What else could it be.
I love this car, but am getting fed up having to go out in the morning and struggle to get it going. I dont leave anything on, I TURN ALL ITEMS TO MANUAL OPERATION, IE THE LIGHTS, WIPERS, I DONT USE THE HEATED SEAT BUTTONS, I MAKE SURE THE RADIO IS OFF.
Please help as i have kids and a hectic job and need my car.
What are the proven usual drains that happen with this car and what else can I try.
I found that I had a faulty engine fan controller module. This meant the fan was going off randomly with the engine off and the car not being used-everypime I went to use the car the battery was flat. Replaced now and problem sorted

Old 02-22-2020, 08:55 AM
Default Battery drain update

Soo far I've been blessed I narrowed it down to the battery connector. Intermittent loosening. Changed and secured and it's been okay soo far. I still have my spare alternator just in case.