Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-7 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-7-44/)
-   -   CX-7 2010 2.5L Transmission fluid change?? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-7-44/cx-7-2010-2-5l-transmission-fluid-change-40073/)

doc4bax 06-12-2018 10:42 AM

CX-7 2010 2.5L Transmission fluid change??

I just bought a 2010 and I can't find anywhere what the ATF change intervals are....if any? The vehicle owners manuals maintenance schedule mentions nothing about it other than checking it at certain intervals. Anyone know what MAZDA recommends for the 2.5L engine? Thanks!

grim_reaper 06-13-2018 03:53 AM

There isn't a dedicated change interval. The fluid gets inspected at each service, & if it requires replacing , then the customer is advised.

Mazdaboy75 06-14-2018 10:38 PM

Synthetic atf

Grab a white paper towel. Clean fluid is red. Bright red. Take your dipstick and wipe it on the paper towel. Look at the color. If it's red or fairly red then it's still a good fluid. If it's dirty or getting dark. Like a brown ish color. Change.

There is a product on the shelf by Seafoam called trans tune. It's a transmission/hydraulic cleaner. I would recommend putting half that bottle into the trans fluid for one week while you drive. It'll clean out gum and build up in your smaller lines throughout the transmission for when you dump all your old fluid it'll get rid of deposits.

Also on the cx-7 builds. I would recommend finding the transmission cooler lines. There is 2. Indeed/outfeed. The bottom of the 2 is the outline. If you disconnected this one. And have a 5 gallon pale to catch the old fluid (using an extra piece of hose) attach the hose. Have your new fluid ready. 10/14L. Remove the trans dipstick. Place a funnel in the dipstick holder. When you start the car. The old fluid from the return line will poor out into the 5 gallon pale while your pouring the new fluid in. This is a full flush. Keep pouring the new fluid into the trans as the old runs out. Once you see the new fluid coming out into the pale you know the transmission is full of new fluid. Shut the car off. Re-attach your outfeed line. And top up the transmission if needed with the remaining of your new fluid.

I would recommend synthetic atf. An average interval change is around 80'000/100'000km to keep it new. Goodluck.

doc4bax 06-15-2018 11:35 AM

Thanks!

grim_reaper 06-16-2018 01:15 AM

Best fluid to use is the genuine Mazda CX-7 ATF #K020-W0-049, following that, CASTROL TRANSMAX MULTIVEHICLE

doc4bax 06-26-2018 10:23 AM

I was planning on draining the transmission. I know I will not get all the fluid out but how much typically comes out when removing the drain plug? I'm trying to figure out how much ATF to buy. I believe the overall capacity is 8.6 quarts but I'm pretty sure that's not all going to come out. My fluid doesn't appear to be too bad (its a little dark but not black). I have just bought the vehicle and the the prior owner has no record of any ATF changes so I figured I would change what I can now and in about 20K miles do another drain and fill.

Mazdaboy75 06-27-2018 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by doc4bax (Post 168510)
I was planning on draining the transmission. I know I will not get all the fluid out but how much typically comes out when removing the drain plug? I'm trying to figure out how much ATF to buy. I believe the overall capacity is 8.6 quarts but I'm pretty sure that's not all going to come out. My fluid doesn't appear to be too bad (its a little dark but not black). I have just bought the vehicle and the the prior owner has no record of any ATF changes so I figured I would change what I can now and in about 20K miles do another drain and fill.

Best fluid. Synthetic atf. I buy Klondike in 18.9L pales. Only because I do so much work from home after the shop. Same fluid we use at the shop. Anything synthetic for a good price is fine.

What will normally dump out from a drain and fill is about 3.8/4.5L . So buying a 5L jug will be plenty for a drain and fill. The torque converter holds another 5L or so. About 11L total in the whole tranny. The rest in cooler lines. Passage ways etc.... 5L jug will do. Goodluck.

Mazdaboy75 06-27-2018 01:18 AM

Also if you put half a bottle of trans tune. By Seafoam I believe in the tranny for about a week and drive it. It'll clean out lines and lsudge. It'll sit in the bottom of the pan for your drain so not to worry. Also Remember to wipe the plug off. It's magnetic. It'll hold mainly metallic dust. Look for little metal parts in the fluid when you drain it into a container. Should be perfectly fine. Only dust. The Mazda/Ford tranny's are overall built very well!

doc4bax 06-27-2018 08:58 AM

Thanks!...

doc4bax 06-29-2018 12:14 PM

What do you think of using this ATF fluid? https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/1C6B3533C4BF4B92802580B2005A9D57/$File/BPXE-AFE8UE.pdf